Wyeast Trouble.....Wort Life Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
On Monday I received two recipe kits and yeast from Austin Homewbrew Supply. Yesterday morning I smacked both yeast packs (Activator Smack Packs) to get them ready for brewing tonight. This morning, the American Wheat is swelled up like normal, and looks like its going to explode. The other, California Lager hasn't budged at all. The pack inside is definitely broken, but there is no activity at all. In the past, every time I have had a Wyeast pack not expand it was DOA.

SO I called AHBS and told them what happened and was told "they don't always expand, pitch it anyway." I suppose that could be true (but my past experience tells me otherwise). However, if I pitch it into my wort and it doesn't take off, I think I will be screwed. Austin Homebrew said "no, wort in a sealed fermentor will last for two weeks without issue."

Is this true? If I pitch, I will have to wait 72hrs to be sure it takes off. If it doesn't, then I need to order another pack and wait for it to be delivered (3~7 days). Will my wort last? Will there be off flavors? :confused:

On a side note, I was a bit disappointed with the response. I have had two DOA Wyeast packs in the past and other Brew supply places (local and online) both sent a replacement straight away. :(

-Todd

Why don't you postpone your brew session. I suggst that you make a starter and see if the yeast become active.

What they told you is technically correct... smack paks don't have to expand to indicate viable yeast. This is also stated on the side of the smack pack itself.

Good luck!

No LHBS? You can't overpitch a Lager (without a huge starter), I would pitch some more in to be sure.....if that is an option.

If you want to be sure - make a starter and only brew the one beer tonight. That way you don't have to try as hard to RDWHAB.

No LHBS? You can't overpitch a Lager (without a huge starter), I would pitch some more in to be sure.....if that is an option.

I do have a LHBS. But it would really bug me to have to pay for a second yeast.

I will probably just try to make a starter (which requires a trip to the LHBS anyway since I am out of DME). If it doesn't get a starter going, I will try to circle back with Austin. I may be wrong on the non-swell, but liek I said past experience hasn't been good.

-Todd

WHen I ordered my kit, I added the yeast nutrient capsule that you put in the boil. If I am making a starter, should I add the nurtient to the starter boil, or the main wort boil?

-Todd

Todd,

I had a Wyeast from AHS that came in last Friday that did not swell after it was smacked. I added it to the wort, along with some bloomed dry yeast that we had on hand, and the thing about blew its lid.

maybe this heat wave is having an effect on yeast shipments? Or maybe they just didn't swell...

I'm kinda wishing I did a starter now to see if it was DOA or still good...

I keep a variety of dry yeast around for this reason. I also have a yeast bank and will make a starter from it in advance of my brew day.

No fizz after the shake. I made a starter with 1-cup of DME.....nothing after 16hrs. As I predicted....DOA.

Time to call Austin again.:mad:

I'd suggest you always make a starter for a lager. If you do a little research you'll find the die-hard, lager gurus here will pretty much preach that you always have at least a 2 quart starter for lagers.

you really want plenty of yeast...you may even step the starter up a second time to get optimal pitch rates.

Well I talked to AUstin and they are giving me a cedit for the bad yeast. I picked up a smack pack at a local (20miles away) place. Smacked it in the car and three hours later it was about an inch and a half thick. Pitched that into the starter I made and she took off wihtin an hour. I may step it up again, to be safe.

-Todd

20 miles? That officially made that smack pack the most expensive yeast ever pitched in the history of man kind!!!! With gas prices and all.

Yeah, but I had the starter ready for the day before. If I would have waited for AHS to ship another one out, with the weekend coming it wouldn't get here until at least Monday. Then I would have had to wait for my starter to get going, which would push brew day out anoter week (leaving for the holiday). This way , my starter will be ready to go for a Monday/Tuesday brew night. :D

Back