Wyeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Do I need to smack the Wyeast pack and let it swell up first before pitching into a starter I am going to put on a stir plate until Friday or can I go ahead and just dump it into the starter after breaking the inner package and shaking it up?

It's best to break the nutrient pack and follow the Wyeast instructions but it's not necessary, especially when pitching into a starter.

I am having trouble figuring out these yeast calculators. MrMalty is asking for O.G. Is this the OG of the recipe for the beer or the OG of what the starter would be?

For example the OG of my recipe is 1.076. If I plug that into the calculator it is telling me to make 2.12 liters of starter. That seems like a lot? How do I know how much DME to use?

dmbnpj said:
I am having trouble figuring out these yeast calculators. MrMalty is asking for O.G. Is this the OG of the recipe for the beer or the OG of what the starter would be?

For example the OG of my recipe is 1.076. If I plug that into the calculator it is telling me to make 2.12 liters of starter. That seems like a lot? How do I know how much DME to use?

The OG mr malty wants is for your recipe. In your case, 1076. Yes, 2.12 liters sounds about the correct size starter to produce enough viable yeast to pitch correctly. Typically you should use about a 10:1 ratio of water (in ml) to dme (in grams). So for 2 liters, you'd need 200 grams of dme.

Use the og of the wort not the starter. The general rule for starters is 100g dme per liter of water. That should put you around 1.04 fur the starter.

Make sure you properly adjust Mr. malty for yeast viability. A 2L starter isn't unreasonable for a 1.07+ og.

It won't accurately convert to a volume. You should pick up a cheap kitchen scale. Scales are also great to have around for measuring hops.

I have the wort boiling on the stove now. I had one cup of DME that I mixed with about 1.5 liters of water. Have I used too much DME?

No, 1/2 cup DME in 2 cups water is approximately 1.040 wort. 1.5 L is 60ml's more than 6 cups water so your wort is roughly 1.026.

The size of starter depends on OG of the recipe and the age of your yeast pack.

Back