Wyeast Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Well I got my first liquid yeast today shipped from AHS. Sat in a hot truck over the weekend and when it was delivered today the ice pack had melted. I ended up smacking it in hopes of making my starter tonight. Well after 3+ hours it doesn't seem to be swelling all that much (if at all.) Would it be okay to leave on the counter to see how much it will swell over a 24 hour period? The temperature it would be sitting at would be around the low to mid 70s.

I just had the same issue.. I still pitched it without swelling and while it took 3 1/2 days to show active signs of fermentation.. my airlock is working now.

I would agree that a starter would be a better idea though, I just pitched mine, no starter.

I had one that didn't go anywhere when i broke the inner pack. 5 days and nothin. well I talked to the folks who sold me the kit and ended up getting them to ship me one. but with nothing to lose i literally beat the **** out of the original pack and low and behold it started to swell after a week of no reaction the pummeling got it to fire right up.

Well I just ended up making a starter and pitched the yeast last night. Hopefully my yeast were still alive.

When I used Wyeast #3638 (Bavarian Wheat, great yeast BTW), the pack didn't swell very much. I smacked it at the beginning of my brew day and put it on top of the fridge. I pitched about 5 hours later and crossed my fingers. 18 hours later I had bubbles in the airlock. So it turned out OK.

When I used #1056 I had a balloon for a yeast pack an hour after I smacked it. I think it just depends on the yeast you're using.

If I'm making a starter with a Wyeast packet, which I always do unless it's a small or very low gravity batch, I never worry about waiting for the packet to swell. Made one Saturday night and pitched it after brewing Sunday night and the beer was fermenting when I woke up Monday morning.

I just had the same issue.. I still pitched it without swelling and while it took 3 1/2 days to show active signs of fermentation.. my airlock is working now.

I would agree that a starter would be a better idea though, I just pitched mine, no starter.

exactly what i did last weekend. Smacked it, no swelling, pitched anyways, then about 3-4 days later, fermentation started. obviously a starter would be better, but it worked none the less, just took a bit to get going.

exactly what i did last weekend. Smacked it, no swelling, pitched anyways, then about 3-4 days later, fermentation started. obviously a starter would be better, but it worked none the less, just took a bit to get going.

I've read that fermentation lag on the order of 3-4 days causes the yeast to create many off-flavors. During this lag the yeast are regenerating the colony to be large enough to ferment the wort and creating all sorts of chemical byproducts along the way. Can you post your results once you get this in the keg/bottle?

I've read that fermentation lag on the order of 3-4 days causes the yeast to create many off-flavors. During this lag the yeast are regenerating the colony to be large enough to ferment the wort and creating all sorts of chemical byproducts along the way.

I've read this too. But, I've made 2 batches where I pitched directly from the Wyeast pack and with both fermentation started within 24 hours. But, I haven't been doing very high gravity brews to start with (~1.050 OG on my first 2), so that might be why I haven't had problems. Anybody know? I may have to try a starter when I do a bigger beer.

I've read that fermentation lag on the order of 3-4 days causes the yeast to create many off-flavors. During this lag the yeast are regenerating the colony to be large enough to ferment the wort and creating all sorts of chemical byproducts along the way. Can you post your results once you get this in the keg/bottle?

sure will, i wont be drinking the first one till oct 9th at the UMvFSU football tailgate, so if ur in miami for it ill be cracking the first one open then!

So we are coming up on 24 hours since I made my starter. Doesn't look like anything has happened. Looks as though the yeast may be settling on the bottom of the growler. Don't see any signs of my foil being pushed up either. Any ideas or just relax?

Also I am wondering if I put the foil on too tight. I pretty much sealed it on the opening. Should I have left it on a little loosely?

I ordered some LME and some wyeast for a wheat to finish off a Mr. Beer kit I had sitting around. It took 8 days for the order to get delivered. I popped the pack and finally gave up 5 days later. The pack has been sitting in my kitchen now for about two weeks now and finally swelled up yesterday. I just brewed the wheat beer and am getting ready to pitch it...we'll see I guess. I figure there must have been mighty few of the little guys left in that pack for it to take so long but I can't see why it sholdn't work just as well...

Back