wyeast smack pack first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyguner03

Reaction score
for some reason i let my LHBS talk me into getting a smack pack. and well i did the shake and located the pocket and well i guess i smack the pack to hard and it the packed opened up.. am i ok with still pitching this in 3 hrs?

You mean the black outside package ruptured? So if you turned it the yeast would run out?

the bottom of packet opened very little so i just turned the packet upside down .. it is making a bubble sound inside or something

I would think that you would be fine. I would try to either cover the hole/tear with some sanitized foil or put the yeast pack inside some sort of sanitized container until you are ready to pitch it in a few hours.

You must be "he-man like". I usually hold the pack in the palm of my left hand and then make a fist and "punch" the pack with my right hand. Never had one split open. Crazy.

The bubbling sound is normal.

Next time you go to the LHBS, ask them about making starters and why they did not suggest it as well since it's a recommended practice with liquid strains;)

Next time you go to the LHBS, ask them about making starters and why they did not suggest it as well since it's a recommended practice with liquid strains;)

No crap.. I'm used to using dry yeast and I asked for 04 and he said wait try this out and being me said ok sounds good

No crap.. I'm used to using dry yeast and I asked for 04 and he said wait try this out and being me said ok sounds good

Its not a bad suggestion tho. I used a few smack packs without a starter and they were good beers, never had one burst tho! :cross:

I find that the Wyeast "Activator" packs start in about 4 to 6 hours which is great. I have zero issue with using one without a starter. I wouldn't use one of the smaller packs without a starter though.. I did a few times years ago and it took maybe 18 hours to start, the beer was still fine, but I don't like that much lag

well i am close to finish boil and i am doing 10 gallons so i do have two packets. one did not open on me .. and is looking like a mini football and the other well nothing because i somehow burst the bottom corner .. i hope it works

well i hit 78% 80% and starting OG is 1.074!! was expecting to be only 1.066.. any ideas if i will need to repitch?

tommyguner03 said:
well i hit 78% 80% and starting OG is 1.074!! was expecting to be only 1.066.. any ideas if i will need to repitch?

I had a smack pack split on me about 6 hours before pitching--came out fine. With that high an OG, I would get another smack pack and pitch it ASAP. Better to slightly over pitch; under pitching makes for alot of stress & thus off flavors :(

i had some yeast slurry that i saved from my last batch. just a couple days ago. and i decided to put some of that in to hopefully speed things up. now i just hope for no off flavors from the slurry.. :smack:

Latest posts

Back