wyeast smack pac

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
the big one... it says 100billion cells or some nonesense. the guy at the byo place where i bought it said i don't need a starter, but i don't believe him. i've always made a starter, though this smack pac is twice the size of the normal ones.

thoughts gents?

t1master said:
the big one... it says 100billion cells or some nonesense. the guy at the byo place where i bought it said i don't need a starter, but i don't believe him. i've always made a starter, though this smack pac is twice the size of the normal ones.

thoughts gents?
I've never made a starter using the Wyeast XL smack-packs. I let them warm up for a few hours, give them a smack when I start heating the water for my mash, and by the time my mash/sparge and boil is done (a few hours) the pack is almost as big as a small football. I just pitch directly from the package and usually have a ferment going within 12 to 14 hours.

Of course, YMMV.

bikebryan said:
I've never made a starter using the Wyeast XL smack-packs. I let them warm up for a few hours, give them a smack when I start heating the water for my mash, and by the time my mash/sparge and boil is done (a few hours) the pack is almost as big as a small football. I just pitch directly from the package and usually have a ferment going within 12 to 14 hours.

Of course, YMMV.
If you are brewing a higher gravity beer you should do a starter. Say anything higher than about 1.060

RichBrewer said:
If you are brewing a higher gravity beer you should do a starter. Say anything higher than about 1.060

even with the XL smackpacks? those f*ckers are HUGE.

-walker

I just brewed my first batch, but my "educator" uses smack pack all the time with a started. He also added that you should sanitize the part of the package your gonna cut, as well as the scissors you will use to cut them.

The number I've seen referenced for the average 5g batch is 200-250 billion cells, in which case none of the liquid yeast products readily available to homebrewers are sufficient without a starter. Of course, we all know that even the small Wyeast packs will ferment 5g without a starter, but there are possibly side effects that the Kaiser recently detailed in another thread.

i'm making one tonight.... to pitch sunday afternoon... 14 hour lag is too much imho.

smak pak... i just like saying that... :D

Back