Wyeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadyus

Reaction score
I used my first package of wyeast last night and after smacking it and having the bag inflate I poured it into my wort. But when I woke up this morning it looks like the wyeast has settled at the bottom of my container. Is this normal or did I do something wrong when pitching it. My temps are at 70F which the kit and wyeast should be ok at. Any ideas?

It'll be fine. If you didn't make a starter, you can expect it to take up to three days to get started, so don't worry yet! The yeast might appear to be sleeping down there, but they know where the sugars are and will get started on it.

Oxygen helps but I noticed those smack packs when dumped dirrect do take a while. I make starters. I also shake the hell out of my primary with a bung in it to oxygenate it. Some folks use bubblers to really oxygenate it.

ya the only issue is these brew house kits say they need to be made in an open fermenter so I guess we'll see how it turns out with the liquid yeast.

yes I didn't understand why it asks for a 46 litre primary...I even called the 1-800 and the guy said that if you put it in a 23 litre primary it will overflow...

toadyus said:
I used my first package of wyeast last night and after smacking it and having the bag inflate I poured it into my wort. But when I woke up this morning it looks like the wyeast has settled at the bottom of my container. Is this normal or did I do something wrong when pitching it. My temps are at 70F which the kit and wyeast should be ok at. Any ideas?

What was the temp of the wort when you pitched the yeast? Sometimes people pitch when it's too hot.

It'll be fine. I'm curious about a previous comment you made about an "open fermenter"...you have an airlock on your fermenter right? Maybe there's just a difference in terminology that I'm not understanding.

By "Open Fermenter" I mean there is no air lock it's like a garbage can with a special lid that only let's escaping gases out. Well that's what they told me at my LHBS I've brewed 2 beers in it and this will be my 3rd. Haven't had any issues with it yet.

Oh and just to update the yeast has exploded in the primary there is probably a 5 inch thick layer of foam that I can see from the outside.

toadyus said:
By "Open Fermenter" I mean there is no air lock it's like a garbage can with a special lid that only let's escaping gases out. Well that's what they told me at my LHBS I've brewed 2 beers in it and this will be my 3rd. Haven't had any issues with it yet.
Is your LHBS primarily a wine making business? This technique is used extensively in wine making but I've never heard of it used for beer. It should work just fine but closed fermentation with an air lock is pretty much the standard for home brewing.
A 46 liter fermenter is huge for a 5 gallon batch of home brew. Typically, a 6 to 7 gallon (23-27 liters) fermenter is big enough for a 5 gallon (19 liter) batch.
If you get to the point where you have multiple batches going at the same time you may want to get some smaller fermenters.

Let us know how your beer turns out. :mug:

No she does both and probably does 50/50, the only problem is I haven't been able to locate a 6 or 6.5 gallon carboy in Canada, and shipping costs from the USA are more than the bottle is worth. hahaha I think I'll stick to one batch at a time. I go on the 1-2-3 rule and it's worked out so far hoping to drink some Wheat Beer this weekend as it's been in the bottle for a week.

toadyus said:
Oh and just to update the yeast has exploded in the primary there is probably a 5 inch thick layer of foam that I can see from the outside.

That's fantastic news! :rockin:

I'm in the deep south of Alberta...4-5 hours from Edmonton depending how fast your car can go on the #36

Back