Wyeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howbrewyoudo

Reaction score
I know that it takes various amounts of time for different types of wyeast packs to inflate. I had planned to brew early today, so I smacked it last night. It was not inflated today, but it is showing signs of inflation. I am planning to now brew tomorrow. My question is, how long can these packs be left to inflate before they become useless? Thanks in advance for the advice.

If you have the means, I'd go ahead and make a starter. That way you'll know the yeast is good to go. Many good step by step posts on this site to help you out.

twistr25 said:
If you have the means, I'd go ahead and make a starter. That way you'll know the yeast is good to go. Many good step by step posts on this site to help you out.

+1 on starter... starter is always something you should do with liquid yeast. It makes sure you are pitching enough as well as yeast viability confirmation. Personally i'd do it with dry yeast too bud def with liquid.

To anwser your question it may inflate within a couple hours. You will be fine to use for 24 hours or so. If you can make a starter it is always the best.

I understand everyone prefers using a yeast starter, and I get that it ensures there are enough yeast cells. I have never had a problem with a lack of fermentation due to using only a wyeast pack with beers with an original gravity of less than 1.055. I would make a yeast starter, if I had the needed equipment, which I currently do not. Which brings me back to my original question, once smacked, how long is a wyeast pack viable? If anyone has information on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What is production date on the smack pack? I get my wyeast from Northern Brewer in Milwaukee and can pick the freshest. My packs swell within 1-2 hours. If it is taken that long to swell, it means the yeast isn't very viable, I bet the manufact. date is part of the problem?

For a starter all you need is a container of any kind that you can sanitize, a gallon water jug with sanitized aluminum foil over the top will work great. Sure it works better if you have a flask and stir-plate but it can be done without that stuff.

Here's what you do:

1. get your self a clean 2 liter bottle sanitize it with starsan.

2. boil 1500 mil of water

3. Add 150 grams of Dme

4. Boil 15 min

5. Chill to 68 f

6. CAREFULLY pour wort into sanitzed bottle
(use sanitized funnel)

7. Do the same with yeast

8. Cover bottle with foil
Leave on counter

9. Shake bottle every time you'rein the room

10. Put starter bottle in fridge, let yeast settle out

11. Brew beer / chill wort

12. Dump beer from starter (don't lose the yeast on the bottom!)

12. Pitch yeast from starter

Best of luck!

I understand everyone prefers using a yeast starter, and I get that it ensures there are enough yeast cells. I have never had a problem with a lack of fermentation due to using only a wyeast pack with beers with an original gravity of less than 1.055. I would make a yeast starter, if I had the needed equipment, which I currently do not. Which brings me back to my original question, once smacked, how long is a wyeast pack viable? If anyone has information on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It's not that your beer will not ferment if not using a starter, it's pitching the proper rate of yeast for the beer you are brewing and obtaining a better fermentation because of it:) In addition, it verifies the vitality of the yeast you are using and that you are pitching healthy yeast cells into your beer. From the moment the packet leaves the producer cells begin dying off so there is never really 100B cells in the pack at the time of use.

Visit http://www.yeastcalc.com or http://www.mrmalty.com and plug in the numbers, you will see once you enter the date on your package what the estimated cell count is and you'll see that it doesn't take very long to go from 100B to 50B :)

I work from the position that
1) it's always better to over pitch than under pitch
2) if you can brew a beer you can make a starter
3) it takes little in the way of equipment to do starter and
(even a stir plate is a relatively simple build compared to some of the stuff that home brewers come up with)
4) starters will improve the quality of your beer
5)once you're comfortable making starters, harvesting yeast from your favorite bottle conditioned beer is a breeze and can add new dimensions to your hobby.

Enjoy!

Very simple instructions for making a starter, here.

Like OClairBrew said, you don't need a flask and stirplate, any container with a smallish opening in the top will do the job. I've seen guys make starters in gallon milk jugs.

Equipment? All you need is an old plastic 2 liter

Although i agree that it isn't necessary to make a starter if you have a fresh smack pack and normal gravity beer.

Latest posts

Back