WYeast Propagator - Can I Make A Starter with a Pre-Made Wort? Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redline

Reaction score
So I was just about to brew my next batch, and just realized unfortunately the local shop sold me a propagator not activator pack. :mad:

I'm brewing a Brewhouse Red Ale kit, so I don't have any DME to make a starter. Can I use the pre-made wort included in the Brewhouse kit to make a starter? Or should I just pitch it anyways without a starter? Or should I just use the included dry yeast? Or use both?!?!

Thanks for your help!

pre made wort? that's new to me, are you taking about liquid malt extract? you can pitch the dry yeast without a starter, rehydrate in warm water then pitch.

pre made wort? that's new to me, are you taking about liquid malt extract? you can pitch the dry yeast without a starter, rehydrate in warm water then pitch.

yes sorry - I'm still learning the terminology. That's correct it's a liquid malt extract, no-boil kit.

So you're suggesting just use the dry yeast as advertised, and scratch the liquid for this batch? I'm kind of leaning this way after reading other threads...any more thoughts?

you could make a starter with a bit of the LME, that stuff is really concentrated and use the liquid yeast to make a starter. if you use dry yeast you don't have to worry about a starter or aerating the wort like you would with liquid yeast. whatever you do make sure you chill your wort properly before pitching the yeast and try to keep fermentation temps down to avoid off flavors. i sometimes let my wort sit overnight in my fermentation fridge at 65 degrees then pitch hit it with O2 in the morning before pitching.

If you are using a dry yeast as indicated you do not want to make a starter. Good quality dry yeast producers add nutrients to the dry yeast to assure a good start. If you make a starter you have just waisted the nutrients and the starting power of the dry yeast on the starter. You can hydrate or not but don't make the starter. No matter what the case make sure that you aerate well.

Thanks for the help. I just pitched the dry yeast as advertised, and decided to toss the wyeast propogator. I'm a little upset they sold me the wrong one, but what can you do. Will definitely go with an activator pack for my next brew. Cheers

You don't have to toss the propagator, just toss it in the fridge for next time.
Then, before your next brew session, get some DME (a pound or three of xtra light set aside for starters!!) and make a starter. Step it up if you want to (make another starter from your first one), for some fantabulous cell count.

I'm glad you had some dry on hand - that got you thru the brew day. That's a good practice - replace that packet with another spare when you pick up the DME. A good all-around is Safale 05, or Nottingham. Toss it in the fridge as well as that Propagator pack.

Latest posts

Back