Wyeast cider yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpseaton

Reaction score
First time using the Wyeast smack pack yeast activator. It took 48 hours for the package to start to swell up. I left it sitting on the counter at room temp for a few more days, now the package looks ready to pop. Do you think this yeast is still viable or should I start over with a fresh pack?

id use it if it swelled its active although 48hours is a long time every time i have used a smack pack it starts swelling in hours not days but again if it swelled its active

Same thing happened to me with that yeast, very slow start. I pitched the yeast after several hours and the ferment didn't take off for a day or so, but after it did, the batch came out great.

Frank

I've used this yeast many times with great results. Not once have I waited for the package to swell. The secret is not so much following the exact directions regarding smacking and waiting but to get your must 70-75 degrees to activate.

Back