Wyeast arrived swollen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhunk

Reaction score
I got some ingredients in the mail from NB yesterday and the Wyeast 1056 is already partially swelled. The problem is that it doesn't feel like the inner pack is actually broken but I don't know how I can get a good smack on it now since its swelled up. Any thoughts?

Thats not uncommon, especially with some strains. Proceed as normal, it'll be fine.:rockin: Put it in the fridge, it should deflate some.

I would make sure that you do a big starter to ensure viability. I have had them show up swollen as well and if you try to smack it sometimes you will pop the bag since its already partially swollen so I would recommend trying to do more of a squeeze with your fingers method next time and order more ice next time and faster shipping! It's like 100 out in most areas so you can't expect that yeast to stay cold with the one little pack of ice that NB sends with their yeast.

I'd echo the starter recommendation. They were pretty obviously exposed to extensive heat and thus viability is no doubt compromised.

So what I'd do is not worry about trying to smack it, just open it up to dump it into your starter wort, and carefully pour it out while keeping the nutrient pack in the main bag. Then carefully (with well sanitized instrument) poke the nutrient pack to puncture it and pour that into the starter.

If you're not brewing right away, you could put it in the refrigerator and the pack will probably deflate a bit as it cools. Then you could proceed as normal, but I'd still do a starter for reasons stated above.

Mine came the same way a couple of days ago. I put it in the fridge and it did shrink a little. Still not enough to pop the inner bag. I just made a starter, cut the inner bag with sterilized scissors and poured the whole thing in. It made a nice starter and I just pitched it about an hour ago. Looked very healthy and smelled great.

Unless you're using dry yeast, you should be doing a starter regardless of whether the Wyeast pack is inflated or not. Once you start using starters, you'll never worry again about whether or not the yeast you pitched into your wort is good or not...

usfmikeb said:
Unless you're using dry yeast, you should be doing a starter regardless of whether the Wyeast pack is inflated or not. Once you start using starters, you'll never worry again about whether or not the yeast you pitched into your wort is good or not...

True, thus, stick with dry! Dry is just as good and cheaper/ less work if you have controlled fermentation to keep it down you will not have any problems. I have been sounding back and forth between dry and liquid and liquid is just extra work on beers that call for the plain American ale yeast

True, thus, stick with dry! Dry is just as good and cheaper/ less work if you have controlled fermentation to keep it down you will not have any problems. I have been sounding back and forth between dry and liquid and liquid is just extra work on beers that call for the plain American ale yeast

This works if you stay within the styles that have a dry yeast available.

I did read where someone poked a pin hole in the outer pouch, released the excess co2, then sealed it with shipping tape. He was then able to break the inner pouch, let it swell and then make the starter.

I usually make the starter and add the nutrient whether the pouch has swelled or not.

I did read where someone poked a pin hole in the outer pouch, released the excess co2, then sealed it with shipping tape. He was then able to break the inner pouch, let it swell and then make the starter.

Yeah, you could certainly do that. But there's no point to it! If you're going to make a starter (which you certainly should, especially in this situation) then releasing the nutrient to the yeast in the pack and then waiting for it to swell before putting it in a starter is just a waste of time. They'll utilize that nutrient very well in the starter. So just get the starter going! (not directed at you kh).

This demonstrates why people would serve themselves well to learn and understand the processes (why we do these things) rather than just blindly following some steps that someone told them. But that's always the case in life, right? ;)

Had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago, just made a starter and added the inner packet to it. Worked great!

Thanks for all the replies! I did as suggested and made a starter and just used some sterilized scissors to cut open the inner pouch. All is well!

I wouldn't have ordinarily made a starter for this batch, it's a pretty low octane pumpkin ale and I have had good luck with the viability of the Wyeast in the past.

Are these too inflated? I just got a starter "starting kit."

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408412784.342071.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1408412837.117686.jpg

Just got em today. I wanna brew tomorrow & Sunday. I haven't made a starter before, but I did by the 1000ml beaker thing with stopper.

Visually they don't look too far gone. I've received smack packs in the mail that look way worse! Close to busting, but they fired right up when I made a starter. I know you said you want to brew one tomorrow, but I nearly always make a starter with liquid yeast, just to be sure...

That's normal for Wyeast packaging, and doesn't reflect on heat exposure or any other issues related to yeast health. White Labs' equivalent is a gushing vial.

Back