Wyeast Activator smack packs and higher OG recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbstevens1

Reaction score
A friend of mine recommended that I try using a wyeast activator smack pack for my next brew this weekend. According to wyeast's website, the activator packs have about 100 billion cells (at 100% viability). My calculations for my recipe should put me at 1.076-1.078 OG. Wyeast recommends using the smack packs with OG <1.060. My question is this: Should I use two smack packs? I calculate I will need somewhere in the neighborhood of 264 billion cells. It seems like using only one smack pack will put me way off. Any input into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, I should have given more info and explained my situation. I usually make a starter, but I am currently split living in two places. I have a house in Athens, GA where I work mon-thurs, and I have a house 90 miles away in Macon, GA where I spend my weekends and do my brewing. I was just considering the smack packs so I would have pitchable yeast in a matter of hours, not days since I only have friday-sunday to do my brewing and all things related.

You can use two or make a starter with one to up your cell count. There are plenty of threads on making starters.

Ive used two tubes of White labs yeast in this situation with good results.

Best to make a starter to get the yeast population up. That is always the case with liquid yeast, no batter what the OG is.

Anecdotally, I have brewed a beer that was OG 1.076 with 1 pack and it fermented fine with no bad effects.

original post updated

If you've had healthy fermentation and good sanitation in the past, I think you'll be fine with 1 pack. However if you are at all doubtful or want to be extra sure...a few extra bucks for 2 packs would set you right for sure.

When I first started brewing I have under pitched plenty of times with 1 smack pack and had no ill effects other than a long lag time. It can be done with 1 better with 2 and starters are probably always the best option with liquid yeast. Proper pitching rates are probably ideal but it can be done either way.

Back