Wyeast 3763 and pinot noir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickycore

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm brewing a Flemish red/ La Roja knock off beer. My question is concerning the wy3763 in regards to the secondary. I currently have 1 oz of french oak chips soaking in 2 oz of pinot noir. Once its ready to rack on top of that will the brett or lacto or any of the other bugs in the blend eat anything in the wine as I am considering actually dumping the wine straight into the carboy. I'm really just now getting into brewing sour beers and I have def never used wine so I don't know what to expect. Any advice or experience that anyone can share would help me greatly. Recipe below

4 lb. 5 oz. 2 row
4 lb pilsner
1.0 lb. malted wheat
1 lb. 4 oz. Munich malt
13 oz. crystal 120
0.50 oz. black malt
1 lb. 2 oz. Belgian Candy Syrup beet/date
1 oz Hallertau (60 min)
1 oz Hallertau (30 min)
Wyeast 3763 (Roeselare Ale) blend

2oz of wine won't make much difference in 5gallons of beer, I'd dump it all in including the oak. That way you'll get all the oak influence and the oak gives a place for the brett to live.

depending on how dry the wine is there could be substantial amounts of food for brett in the wine, but adding a small amount in 5gal isnt likely to do much in the way of flavor or for the bugs. Not to attack your approach(using wine soaked oak) but Ive never been convinced that its worth the time/effort

depending on how dry the wine is there could be substantial amounts of food for brett in the wine, but adding a small amount in 5gal isnt likely to do much in the way of flavor or for the bugs. Not to attack your approach(using wine soaked oak) but Ive never been convinced that its worth the time/effort

Well the oak I'm using so that the brett has a place to hang out but i figured why not soak it in wine. I think I'm going to add more to the chips in another week and eventually get to the point where I've added a lot more than 2 oz.

Well the oak I'm using so that the brett has a place to hang out but i figured why not soak it in wine. I think I'm going to add more to the chips in another week and eventually get to the point where I've added a lot more than 2 oz.

there really is no need to give brett "a place to hang out" it would be fine in the beer as it was, the only real reason to add oak is for flavor, people used to try to save chips, but its a PITA, its messy and not worth the effort

As far as contribution from the wine, dont expect too much, Ive added a full bottle of wine to a brett beer before and the flavor contribution didnt last long

It was interesting to taste the beer as it evolved though, early on it was very fruity and had a great dark berry note (wine) but as it aged brett came to dominate the aroma/flavor as it always does

I'd worry about the quality of the wine if it has been sitting in a container with oak for a considerable period of time.

Once open and exposed to oxygen wine can degrade quickly, especially if its a small amount with a lot of head space. What does it take to cover 2oz of oak? About a cup?

I would add the oak by itself and open a fresh bottle of wine if I wanted to add any of the liquid to the beer. Obviously that's not as cost effective but if you are going to spend over a year producing a sour why cut corners. Good luck either way!

I'd worry about the quality of the wine if it has been sitting in a container with oak for a considerable period of time.

Once open and exposed to oxygen wine can degrade quickly, especially if its a small amount with a lot of head space. What does it take to cover 2oz of oak? About a cup?

I would add the oak by itself and open a fresh bottle of wine if I wanted to add any of the liquid to the beer. Obviously that's not as cost effective but if you are going to spend over a year producing a sour why cut corners. Good luck either way!

I agree with Spencer. Here is a simple way of determining if we are correct. Taste the wine that has been soaking with the oak. If you like the taste, dump it in. If not, then follow his advice.

there really is no need to give brett "a place to hang out" it would be fine in the beer as it was, the only real reason to add oak is for flavor, people used to try to save chips, but its a PITA, its messy and not worth the effort

As far as contribution from the wine, dont expect too much, Ive added a full bottle of wine to a brett beer before and the flavor contribution didnt last long

It was interesting to taste the beer as it evolved though, early on it was very fruity and had a great dark berry note (wine) but as it aged brett came to dominate the aroma/flavor as it always does

Ryane I've been reading through your blog. Its quite good. Thank you so much for posting the link to it.

Back