Wyeast 3522 Pitched too Warm... Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmsisler

Reaction score
I am brewing a Beligian IPA. Made a starter on Friday, didn't get much action with the starter however a significant amount of yeast formed on the bottom so I figured it was probably alright. Brewed yesterday and pitched the yeast at around 84 degrees which I didn't figure was a huge deal since the range of temperatures for fermentation were from 65-85 degrees. Got vigorous fermentation within around 6 hours from brewing and expected more of the same today however not so much unless I swirl the fermenting bucket. Is this typical with this type of yeast or is something not right?

At those temps, it's very possible your yeast chewed through the bulk of the sugars in a day or so. In any case, the appearance of fermentation (or lack thereof) does not mean that you don't have fermentation going on (or do). If you're curious, bust out the hydrometer.

Although 84 degrees is warm, your batch is definitely not ruined. Right now, I'm drinking a Raison D Etre clone I made with 3522, it's only 2 months old but it's quite tasty. (I need to remind myself to let it age for at least a few months!) But thinking back to fermentation I pitched at 65 and let it ramp all the way up into the mid 80's over the course of about 5 days and let it finish off there. I'd be curious to know what the difference between that is and just pitching right at the mid 80's like you did. One thing that was a bit strange for mine was that I need a blowoff for almost a full week. Even starting the fermentation at a lower temp. I pitched a big starter but still wasn't expecting it to be so vigorous.

I'm thinking about Belgian IPA in the near future with some 3522 that I washed from that batch - I'm curious what your recipe was?

The Belgian IPA was actually an extract kit from Northern Brewer called Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA. It had about 9lbs of Pilsen Extract, 2lbs of corn sugar and Magnum, Cascade and Saaz hops added to various points of the boil. Sounded like it was going to be a tasty IPA with a belgian twist, hopefully it still will be.

3522 at those temps, I did that for my first ever semi-successful bath, I got lots of bubble gum and phenolics. I think you'll be ok.

Back