Wyeast 2565 Completion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
I do not use this yeast very often and if I ever had this as an issue, I no longer remember.

Today is October 1, 2013. On 9/17/13 I pitched a Wyeast 2565 starter to a 15 gallon conical. Everything took off well and my temp controlled chamber kept the yeast happy at 62F + or - 3F.

I took a hydrometer reading last night and found it at 1.010. Beersmith had originally told me it would finish at 1.012.

I lack beer right now in my life and would like to send this to keg.

I know that if I take another reading later today at it is at 1.010 fermentation is over. Yet, I have a layer of Krausen that has not dropped yet.

Must I wait for that krausen to drop or would I be ok to transfer the beer to keg, ie, I get the same hydrometer reading.

Thanks

This strain is a classic, true top cropping yeast strain from a traditional brewery in Cologne, Germany. Beers will exhibit some of the fruity character of an ale, with a clean lager like profile. It produces low or no detectable levels of diacetyl. This yeast may also be used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers and ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range. This powdery strain results in yeast that remain in suspension post fermentation. It requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.

That was the description I found for the yeast from Wyeast's site. I copied it over thinking perhaps yeast may be in suspension or it could be off gassing...just a theory of course. If it is where you want it, as far as taste, body, and the like and the attenuation is pretty much done which it appears to be, why not ( if you have the ability) cold crash it for a couple days, clear it out, keg it, carb it, and drink that sucker. The cold crashing may get rid of the layer you've got at the top as well as to clear of any suspended yeast. Good luck!

This yeast is a PITA. I've given up on it for the very reasons you describe. My next kolsch will be with WLP029, because I don't want to deal with 2565 again. The last time I brewed with it, it didn't clear until 2-3 months in the keg, and even after cold crashing the primary, it was a yeasty, sulfury mess.

If I remember correctly, the wyeast site says something like "Flocculation: low". I think it should read "Flocculation: none".

This yeast is a PITA. I've given up on it for the very reasons you describe. My next kolsch will be with WLP029, because I don't want to deal with 2565 again. The last time I brewed with it, it didn't clear until 2-3 months in the keg, and even after cold crashing the primary, it was a yeasty, sulfury mess.

If I remember correctly, the wyeast site says something like "Flocculation: low". I think it should read "Flocculation: none".

I did a Kolsch (Midwest extract kit) a while back using that yeast. Added yeast nutrient and that kept down the sulfur smell during fermentation (though there was still a hint of it noticeable near the airlock). No smell after conditioning, however.

But the flocculation (or lack, thereof) was the same as what you experienced. It never cleared well after 4 weeks in primary. Even after sitting in bottles for 3 months, there's still a little of it in suspension. It's not flocculent, it's buoyant. :( And the layer on the bottom doesn't stay put. Definitely have to pour carefully to avoid getting a bunch of yeast in the glass.

On the plus side, the beer tastes good.

Hey Jeff, have you used 029 before and if so did you find it was a better performer for you and your final product? I was thinking about brewing some Kolsch in a couple months.

I have not used 029 before. I hear it's a completely different strain than 2565, which is enough to recommend it as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding fining, that's an area of brewing I've never done anything with. Maybe some day when I'm feeling experimental.

This is completely normal with 2565. I love the results with this yeast, but you really have to be patient with it.

Keep it at the low end of its temp range, be patient, wait for the krausen to drop, and it'll make a great beer for you.

If you aren't good with being patient, then cold crash it, use some gelatin or something else to clear it up.

I really like the end product I've gotten from this yeast, but you have to decide for yourself whether or not you are ok with the time or hassle involved.

I ended up cold crashing it. Next time I brew this one I will place it within my brew schedule so I am not rushed.

Unfortunately, I needed my conical to add more styles to my mix.

I do like the taste and will enjoy this beer.

I want to thank you all for your advice.

Back