Wyeast 2487 Hella Bock. Lets petition Wyeast here on HBT to offer this full time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am going to take on the challenge of PUSHING (asking nicely) the powers that be at Wyeast to offer the Hella Bock 2487-PC as a full time offering. They currently do not offer a BOCK yeast and MAN what a shame that is.

I have recently switched from WL to Wyeast in my store and in doing so I found they don't offer a Bock yesat...Uhhhhh WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I want to use this as kind of a petition to them to maybe consider it. Let's get an idea of the demand or even if there is one. So who is with me? sign your name? (not your real name ;)) just a "YEAH I think they need a Bock offering and I would buy it if there was one" ...

I'll be the first.....:D

Cheers
Jay

Never had a chance to use it, but I think I remember Michael Dawson saying HellaBock was his favorite lager yeast in a brewing TV or Chop n Brew episode.

So , I'm in, I think more lager and British strains are a worthy cause!

I haven't tried this yeast yet. Is it out now or will be out soon? Or did I miss it?

I'm in, what do I need to do?

I remember that Brewing TV episode and love hearing Michael Dawson's views on beer. Saw him in a recent episode of Chop & Brew, good to see him on there again. Wish they'd get Keeler and bring back those Brewing TV vibes.

I'm in, what do I need to do?

I remember that Brewing TV episode and love hearing Michael Dawson's views on beer. Saw him in a recent episode of Chop & Brew, good to see him on there again. Wish they'd get Keeler and bring back those Brewing TV vibes.

DO? Nothing.. Just replying to this thread is all. Your'e good!

Cheers
Jay

I don't know when I'll ever brew a lager, but who knows....maybe a bock will be the first thing I do as a lager. I figured I'll add my name to the list to help the cause.

I didn't see anyone else post this, so I'll just throw it out there. Wyeast 2487-PC is purported to be the Ayinger yeast. This is available year-round from White Labs as WLP833, and is indeed a great yeast. Jaybird, this may not help your position as a vendor, but for most consumers the yeast is commonly available.

Out of curiosity Jaybird, what do you consider a "bock" yeast? I think nearly any clean lager yeast strain can be used to successfully ferment a beer from the bock family. As a matter of fact, Wyeast lists their three main German lager yeasts (2124, 2206, 2308) on their page for Bock, so I did not know what you meant.

I didn't see anyone else post this, so I'll just throw it out there. Wyeast 2487-PC is purported to be the Ayinger yeast. This is available year-round from White Labs as WLP833, and is indeed a great yeast. Jaybird, this may not help your position as a vendor, but for most consumers the yeast is commonly available.

This can create problems for some consumers though. For example, in central Iowa (Des Moines Area) there are only two homebrew stores (that I know of) both of which carry Wyeast (and a VERY limited selection of White Labs--833 is not part of this limited selection). They can order in any Wyeast strain you want, but cannot do the same with White Labs.

Therefore our only option is to order 833 online, which costs more due to shipping, doesn't support those stores, and can be an issue in the summer.

I use 833 frequently, and assuming Hella Bock is the same strain, it would be much more convienent to get it from Wyeast.

Latest posts

Back