Wyeast 2112 - no airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephed666

Reaction score
Hello:

Just wondering if I can get some thoughts on my California Common. This is the first time I am using a lager yeast and I am not sure if this is normal or not. I am using the Wyeast 2112 that was dated 5/21/17. I made a starter for it and pitched it this past Saturday 7/29 and have not seen any airlock activity. I have the fermenter in a swamp cooler and when I pitched the yeast the temperature on the therm-strip was 68. After two days in the cooler with some ice bottles the temp was at 50. I took them out and now the temp is at 68 - (day 4). I have had no activity at all in the airlock. Is this normal with this yeast? Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Thanks!

Look at the wort. Any krausen? Lager yeasts do take longer but should be going by now. Leaky seal somewhere? Worst case take a gravity reading.

I tried to open the bucket and I guess I rocked it a bit. Started bubbling away late last night. So I left it. Still bubbling this morning. So I'll take a reading in a week or two to see. Thanks!

I tried to open the bucket and I guess I rocked it a bit. Started bubbling away late last night. So I left it. Still bubbling this morning. So I'll take a reading in a week or two to see. Thanks!

You probably re-established a seal with the lid. I'd guess that "my airlock is not bubbling" is right near the top of questions people have regarding yeast activity.

I brew a Cal Common too, and I use both 2112 and WL810 interchangeably. Both start pretty well.

Latest posts

Back