wyeast 1968 'hybrid' propagation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toadsticker

Reaction score
When I received my initial smack pack, it was a bit dated, and was not enough for my batch. To be expected. A single starter step was barely sufficient, said yeastcalc.
After reading various threads concerning washing/propagation, I did a step up starter, yielding 2x required for my batch. After decanting (and vigorous shaking), I pitched half to my sort, and reserved half, under the impression it would continue as 'generation 0'. I plan to wash the yeast from the batch I'm making, (gen. 1), yielding much higher cell counts.
To my understanding, I can take the yeast out to gen. 5.
As long as my preservation attempts for gen. 0 are correct, does it remain gen. 0, or do I have to phase in continuation starters as extra generations, given low wort gravity worth and no hops?

I love this strain.

I understand the problem you're bringing up, and let me start by saying don't over think it. My belief is that whenever a yeast is used to truly ferment a batch of beer, and then it is harvest, you have completed one generation. Fermenting a batch introduces different strains, nutrients, and "experience" to your yeast. Making a starter merely makes more yeast in an ideal environment.

However, don't just leap to the conclusion that "I'll just always make a bigger starter than I need and then save some of generation 0!" You know in your heart that the yeast will experience some negative effects over time if you do this... contamination of the source, contamination of the vessel, overly long storage times, etc.

The best advice is to just do what feels right. Put it this way: you know how you have those brew days where you're like, "Wow, everything went perfect today!" and then you also have the opposite? Well I encourage you to think about your culture's health in the same way. "Hmmm, that last fermentation was a little weird, plus I felt like I went too long between batches... this yeast may not be treated as well as it could have been." If you feel that way, it's time to dump it.

And lastly, if you haven't dealt with reharvesting this yeast before, you just have to accept that it is nearly impossible to separate the yeast from the trub. Just deal with it.

Back