Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale not taking off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
Got what I assume will be a killer scotch ale in the works. Old Chub clone. 2.5 gallons, 1.090 O.G.

I purchased two 1728 packets from my LHBS on closeout due to dates (Feb 2018) and I pitched them both in. Smack pack swelled the bag only about 10% after 4 hours. I just pitched it in without waiting for full swell (packet says I can do that)

After 60 hours there is no sign of fermentation. I've shaken the fermenter rigorously twice each day plus this morning so 5 times total. Pitch temp was 70F. House temp is 70F.

It's starting to smell not fresh in there, so I'm wondering if I just need to pitch a pack of S-04 or something to make a beer (not necessarily a scotch) rather than letting this go to waste. LHBS is out of 1728.

Do I play the waiting game yet? Two packets in 2.5 gallons of 1.090 wort...I gotta think it would have done something by now.

Thanks

Your yeast had a February 2018 date on them? If so that is your problem. You only had about 7% viability. And you didn't make a starter. With fresh yeast

Your beer needed about 153 billion cells and you pitched about 14 billion. I would pitch some new yeast as soon as possible. I would also take a taste of the wort first. If it is already smelling bad it may be better to cut your losses, unless you want to see if you get a drinkable sour after about a year.

Have you taken a gravity Reading? I’m assuming there is no krausen at all.

I would be super p*ssed at the LHBS over the dates. Mine pulls yeast that is approaching 6 months old and will often sell packets of Wyeast at a discount at 5 months up to when they pull the smack packs.

Yeah I spent $6 on each pack of yeast. Was not happy about this. Never worked with expired liquid yeast though, so I had no idea they were completely dead. The S-04 took off rigorously and I've got beer, whatever kind it turns out to be, so we'll see how well I actually like S-04 in what started as a "Scottish Style Ale".

Yeah I spent $6 on each pack of yeast. Was not happy about this. Never worked with expired liquid yeast though, so I had no idea they were completely dead. The S-04 took off rigorously and I've got beer, whatever kind it turns out to be, so we'll see how well I actually like S-04 in what started as a "Scottish Style Ale".

If anything it will be slightly fruitier in the esters.

Latest posts

Back