Wyeast 1318 London Ale III Slower Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonwolgamuth

jonbeer
Reaction score
Just interested in others' experiences with this yeast. Maybe I'm used to fermentations going faster, but I brewed Saturday and I've gone from 1.056 to 1.026 in 3 days and it has really leveled off. Tilt says it is at 66F and I've been at (or around 1.025) for the past couple of days.

I know, patience is required. ;-)

I have used the strain a couple of times and haven't noticed anything unusual. OTOH, I wasn't tracking continuously with a Tilt.

Also, nice avatar! Here's a little electronics project from a few years ago. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to present to you... the Internet!"
3Y3Xnwp.jpg

I have used the strain a couple of times and haven't noticed anything unusual. OTOH, I wasn't tracking continuously with a Tilt.

Also, nice avatar! Here's a little electronics project from a few years ago. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to present to you... the Internet!"
3Y3Xnwp.jpg
I'm actually an "elder" of the internet. ;-)

I'm actually an "elder" of the internet. ;-)

You and me both. I was reading an article this morning that basically said that FidoNet and UseNet were the same thing, and getting annoyed. Kids these days.

I have a batch of the Omega equivalent (OYL-011) going now...

OG 1.062, pitched at 65F. Down to 1.023 by day 3, 1.022 day 4. At that point I started raising the temp a degree per day with a gentle rousing. It's now day 8, temp is 68F, SG is 1.018.

Mine started 1.056 and had about the same attenuation as you had for a while. It just seems stuck. I don't have a great way to control temps, but I've been able to raise it a couple degrees. I'm guessing this one is going to end higher than I wanted.
A0D881B3-812F-49C5-A9F7-3D69EA98D47C.jpeg

Good call. I've tried "rousing" by gently rocking the fermenter and the gravity actually went up! I'm going to give it a few more days (day 6 and still at 1.021) and I might let US-05 try to finish the job.

I started a batch last Saturday with 1318. Pitched and held at 66 for the first 3 days. Yeast went absolutely crazy. At the end of day 3 it started to snow down, so on day 4 i started to let the temp rise slowly over the next 2.5 days up to 70. It is still slowly chewing through the last of the sugars now at the end of day 7.

Make sure there is no krausen buildup on the Tilt. That will affect the reading.
Anybody with a SS conical fermenter know how to check this without opening the thing up? I've had this concern with my Tilt, and have seen remnants of krausen on it after everything is over, but it seems we're flying blind while the process is ongoing.

Probably a stupid thing to point out here, but London iii is also a pretty poor attenuator. If you mashed high, you may not get to the FG you expect if you're comparing it to something like 05. Attenuation is one of the only things I don't love about London iii, although mixing a small portion of Nottingham or 05 in solves that. The Krausen is also a PITA as you have to keep lots of headspace compared to most other yeasts. Great yeast, though, so it's worth it

Back