Wyeast 1098 or Keg system causing off flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogbrewhaus

Reaction score
The last two batches I have done, ESB and Brown ale have both had a boozey taste up front. Almost like a winey or green taste. The finish on both are pretty decent but that up front booze taste is a bit tough to get by. I used wyeast 1098 on both for the first time is that just how that yeast tastes, or is it most likely something in my keg system? I clean obsessively with oxyclean and sanitize with star san. Both batches did about 4 weeks in primary and then straight to the keg. Any ideas what gives here?

around 70-72ish. Room temp upstairs not too much I can do right now to get it to 68ish. Basement is below 60. Kind of a catch 22. Think that could be it?

I should probably also add that both these batches exploded. The ESB pushed the airlock out which I caught quickly after it happened. The brown ale blew the top off the fermenter (ale pail) twice in front of my eyes. Ran an emergency blow off tube and all was fine after that. So oxidation?

Well, I usually ferment 1098 @ 65-66F (that's wort temp, not ambient air temp). If your ambient temps are 70-72ish, your ferment temps are @ 75-79ish....too hot for this yeast and a very likely a major contributing factor to "a boozey taste up front". Research "swamp cooler".

Seems like there could be multiple things that I f'ed up that could cause what I am tasting. Had a rough stretch of luck/stupidity but I have a couple batches going now that seem to be in better shape. Thanks for the input guys, I'll try to do better next time. Cheers.

Well, I usually ferment 1098 @ 65-66F (that's wort temp, not ambient air temp). If your ambient temps are 70-72ish, your ferment temps are @ 75-79ish....too hot for this yeast and a very likely a major contributing factor to "a boozey taste up front". Research "swamp cooler".

Have seen some swamp coolers, might be a good idea for me. That being said if the ambient temp in my basement is around 58 or so would that be way too cold for ales to ferment assuming the internal temp is a bit higher?

Seems like there could be multiple things that I f'ed up that could cause what I am tasting. Had a rough stretch of luck/stupidity but I have a couple batches going now that seem to be in better shape. Thanks for the input guys, I'll try to do better next time. Cheers.

Just give the beer some time, stash it away somewhere for a few weeks or so and see how it mellows out!

Back