Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) Activatior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardjls

Reaction score
Okay... Well I have gotten around to trying liquid yeast for the first time.. I ordered a package of Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale that I am planning on using for a yeast starter.. When the package arrived by UPS.. I placed it into the fridge and several days later, I smacked the activator per the instructions on the back of the package. 3 hours later... I noticed no swelling at all... I checked again after several more hours and still nothing... I went as much as 48 hours and still.. no swelling of the pouch. The next morning I called the supplier of the yeast.. explained the situation and they agreed that something had gone wrong.. (Suspect a bad batch) so they replaced the batch free of charge... After 2 more days and while still waiting on the replacement package of yeast to arrive, the suspect package (package 1) inflated like a balloon as I suspect it was originally supposed to do. I did not know if this was a sign that the yeast inside was indeed active and alive.. healthy?? So I left it alone and sat it aside. and continued to wait for the replacement package to arrive (Packet 2). It arrived this morning and I immediately "Smack" activated the package... Well here it is 9 hours later and still no inflation at all of the yeast packet.. I am wondering if this is normal.. Or should I wait another day or so to pitch it to my yeast starter? Or.. am I possibly in receipt of a bad batch?

Some additional info on the conditions of the yeast... Both packages were shipped from Minnesota and took a week to get to California.. Each time the yeast arrived with an ice pack.. but the ice packs were no longer cold when the shipping container was opened. Package 1 was refrigerated immediately after received for about 1 week and package 2 was smacked within 10-15 minutes after arrival. My house is air conditioned and the thermostat is set to 73 degrees F. The manufacturing date on package 1 was Feb 14 and package 2 is May 14. While in transit, I am not sure if the shipping containers were exposed to high temps, Since it has been over 100 degrees plus in this area... I am worried that the yeast might have been baked while sitting in the back of a UPS truck...

Again, this is my first attempt at using liquid yeast and I do not know if what I am experiancing is normal.. Any help anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated..

Ed

When I used the Smack pack for the first time. I attempted to smack the inner pack and got similar results that you did, no swelling within the first 4 or 5 hours or so. I had already made my starter wort and it was time to pitch the yeast into the flask. I opened the pack and dumped it into the flask, than I noticed that the inner pack had been broken. I had never noticed any inflation of the pack though. As you are making a yeast starter I would just go ahead and dump it into your flask. That will give you the active yeast/healthy yeast you are going to want.

I would pitch it. The yeast is probably fine even without major swelling. With 2 packs you may not need a starter. Although doing one would confirm activity and viability. I would keep the second pack I'm the fridge and save it for a future batch even though it is already smacked. Good luck.

Thanks Tally350z.. I decided to make the attempt and made the starter... I did notice after I opened the pack that the inner pack had broken and had mixed with the yeast... The other thing I noticed was that the yeast really smelled sour.. hoping this is a normal effect... other than that.. Its in the flask and I will let it sit for at least 24 hours... Thanks for the encouraging =)

Pretty much same story here. My first attempt with liquid starter, and after 5 hrs no inflation. I just remember reading at 70° full inflation isn't necessary. I pitched when wort was around 74-76° and within the hour down to 68-70. Its been 36 hrs and no fermentation yet. Can't say I'm not nervous, especially if its a bad batch of yeast. How long should I wait before re-pitching?
To the OP, did u pitch with second package and how long before fermentation started?

Hi Waltzbrewingco.. I have to admit that even though I was skeptical of the starter with the less than inflated yeast... It did take off very strong after pitching.. It even foamed out threw a blow off tube... I talked to a fellow at my LHBS store and he said that out here its not uncommon for the 1084 to hardly inflate with expected results.. But I can tell you.. I kegged my brew... It didnt take long to disapear soon after it was tapped. !!!

Ed

Hmmmm but one thing to keep in mind should you use this strain again.. It tends to work best when pitching cooler... down into the low to mid 60's I think I pitched in the mid 70's also however and my stout was quite worthwhile

This versatile yeast ferments extremely well in dark worts. It is a good choice for most high gravity beers. Beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce a dry, crisp profile with subtle fruitiness. Fruit and complex esters will increase when fermentation temperatures are above 64°F (18°C).

I'd have to agree with edwardjls. Run it in the mid 60's - I just made a stout as well with it. The pack swelled up within the 2 hours of brewing the wort.

However - why not support your LHBS and get recently packaged yeast? What was the date on your internet buy once it got shipped to you?

Your yeast travelled from Odell, OR to Minnesota, and back to Stockton - 3400 miles.

It could have travelled Odell to Stockton - 619 miles.

Think global, act local.

Hey Heckler73.. Yep.. Definatley buy local when its available... Have a fresh pack of 1084 on standby in the fridge as we speak... Its just waiting on the next NB Dry Irish to be delivered as we speak.. Going to try washing and reusing the yeast with this batch...

Around the 40 hr mark it went nuts! Foaming like crazy but not quite in need of a blow off tube yet I'm stoked

Then again a bike tool I just ordered from Seattle is on its way to Vancouver BC (Canada).

Via Los Angeles - courtesy of USPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back