Wyeast 1084 in Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I am not a regular stout brewer, so thought I'd ask before "assuming" and making a mistake with 1084.

This is a dry Oyster Stout beginning at 1.059 with Wyeast 1084 after mashing in at 152F and settling off at 150F. Good starter began active fermentation on the low end of the range around 62F. I am now on day 4 at 62F and SG is hovering 1.022. I'd like to encourage this beer to dry out a bit and finish at perhaps 1.014 or close. I realize this beer is not completely finished yet especially at this low temp, so is it too early on to bump up my temps to finish it off?

I purposely didn't want to ferment warm and risk developing phenols and esters to compete with the subtle nuances the oysters offered, hence my ferm temp of 62F. Is it too early in the ferment to bring the temp up a few degrees to encourage the FG to come down a bit? Will it still develop off flavors if temps are raised at this stage of fermentation?

Not too early. Most say much of the yeast character is developed during the growth phase and you’re well past that.

Bumping the temp will rouse that yeast, so it will chew through a few more gravity points. Day 4 is a good time to bump it up.
Not too early. Most say much of the yeast character is developed during the growth phase and you’re well past that.

Good advice! I bumped up slowly as suggested and have the gravity right at 1.014 which I where I consider ideal. I'll let it settle off for the remainder of this week and rack to keg for a conditioning. Samples are very smooth and no off flavors are detected.

Latest posts

Back