Mashed temperature too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awnry Abe

Reaction score
During this morning's brew in my Grainfather G30, the controller locked up very early in the mash (at 5 minutes in, according to the countdown timer). While I was upstairs getting all the boil stuff ready, the GF kicked off the heat, but kept the pump running. I came downstairs about 20 minutes later to a constant alarm beep and an unresponsive unit with a time stuck at 55 minutes. I recycled power and it resumed normal operation. AACCKKKK!!!! This is 3 brews in a row for me with some kind of catastrophe.

The recipe I am making (Rogue Dead Man clone) wants to finish a bit on the sweet side (1.018). It balances that with a pretty hefty (for me) amount of bitterness. It's a good beer to buy. It mashes at 150F. However, during that 20 minute window the mash--per the temp sensor at the bottom of the unit--hovered around 142-144F. After resetting it, the temp recovered very quickly, but I don't trust those temps as they aren't the ones hitting the grain. Am I now going to have swung way-too dry in that short amount of time? Is there anything I can to to correct this? Let me know what you think. I'll report back in a few days.

Am I now going to have swung way-too dry in that short amount of time? Is there anything I can to to correct this? Let me know what you think.
I look at all these little mishaps as a opportunity to see how it changes the final product. If it seems to dry perhaps some maltodextrin can be added prior to bottling/kegging to add some body back to the beer. Maltodextrin typically doesn't ferment.

I'd have to see the recipe .but none of my beers would stay above 1.014 when mashed at 150. With Kolsch 2565 at 160* gives me a 1.020 FG for my solara barrel refill. Just say'en.

During this morning's brew in my Grainfather G30, the controller locked up very early in the mash (at 5 minutes in, according to the countdown timer). While I was upstairs getting all the boil stuff ready, the GF kicked off the heat, but kept the pump running. I came downstairs about 20 minutes later to a constant alarm beep and an unresponsive unit with a time stuck at 55 minutes. I recycled power and it resumed normal operation. AACCKKKK!!!! This is 3 brews in a row for me with some kind of catastrophe.

The recipe I am making (Rogue Dead Man clone) wants to finish a bit on the sweet side (1.018). It balances that with a pretty hefty (for me) amount of bitterness. It's a good beer to buy. It mashes at 150F. However, during that 20 minute window the mash--per the temp sensor at the bottom of the unit--hovered around 142-144F. After resetting it, the temp recovered very quickly, but I don't trust those temps as they aren't the ones hitting the grain. Am I now going to have swung way-too dry in that short amount of time? Is there anything I can to to correct this? Let me know what you think. I'll report back in a few days.
Do you know how long it takes to have complete conversion at the milling you have for the grain? Do you know how slow the cooling is without recirculation? Both of those are critical to knowing how your mash proceeded.

For instance, I do know that my grains are milled so fine that the conversion is complete in less than 15 minutes and that the temperature of the mash drops less than 2 degrees F. in an hour mash. That means that a power outage at 5 minutes would make no difference in the final gravity.

So where did this beer finish? What yeast and final attenuation?

Back