Wyeast 1084 - Fermentation Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I just brewed a batch of oatmeal stout today, using Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale. Our basement runs a pretty constant 68-69 this time of year, and I have a Son-Of-A-Fermentation chiller, so I can take it down from there. My original gravity came out around 1.044. The following is from the Wyeast site:

This versatile yeast ferments extremely well in dark worts. It is a good choice for most high gravity beers. Beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce a dry, crisp profile with subtle fruitiness. Fruit and complex esters will increase when fermentation temperatures are above 64°F (18°C).

Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 62-72F, 16-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

Based on that, what is your recommendation for a starting and finishing temp? Are there any good sources out there that can help me target temperatures for fermentation?

Thanks for your help!

I use that yeast all the time. I ferment about 64-65 and then bump it up to 67-68 towards the end to make sure it finishes. Works great for me.

Brewed a red with a few months back. Just finally tapped the keg a couple days ago. Awesome stuff, very satisfied, glad I harvested. Fermented about 65-66F and attenuated as expected. Also very clear during the siphon without a cold crash.

I love this yeast, brew all my stouts with it. Very clean, but can get fruity if you go higher. I try to stay around 68* with it, but I'm using it in a RIS right now and it's been cold so it was around 62* and stalled out. I'm re-pitching a big starter of it now and that should get it going again because raising the temperature didn't help.

Thanks for the advice. I had chilled my wort down to 66 when I pitched the yeast this afternoon. I've set my chiller down to 64; I'll see how it does in the next day or two. I'll let it rise back to room temp (68 or so) to let it finish.

Thanks again!

Got a stout that I brewed two days ago using harvested 1084. I am fermenting at 68 (give or take - those stick on thermometers aren't the best... need a thermowell).

I am fermenting at 68 because I want a bit more yeast complexity in this one. I fermented an Irish Red on 1084 at about 62-64 which is great and has a nice finish.

Hi,

I've had it running at 64 degrees for almost four days now. This is the lowest temperature I've fermented at, so I'm not sure what I should be expecting.

I started using a blow-off tube three batchs ago when I started using liquid yeast. The first two were fairly high gravity beers and both had blow-off and very active fermentation.

On this batch I have a layer of white froth on top. I see bubbles popping, so I assume it's producing CO2, even though I have not seen an actual bubble out of the blow-off tube.

How long should I let it go like this before I let it rise to room temperature, which is about 68 right now?

Thanks for your help!

Back