Wyeast 1010 - getting the sulfur out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Hefe I fermented with Wyeast 1010. It's the first time I've used this yeast. Now, I know it's known for kicking off sulfur, but I heard that should disappear after 2-3 days. Mine's been 8 days in primary and I've hit my FG, but it has still got a slight sulfur aroma.

I fermented at 65F for 6 days, and now I warmed it to 68F to make sure it gets to my FG.

Should I expect this just to disappear, or should I alter the temp, cold condition, etc....? Never dealt with this before.

Thanks!

You're in a hurry. Relax. Your beer isn't going to finish in eight days. Give it another two weeks in the primary, double check the FG, and bottle it.

You're in a hurry. Relax. Your beer isn't going to finish in eight days. Give it another two weeks in the primary, double check the FG, and bottle it.

I'm plenty relaxed, and in no hurry whatsoever. ;) I appreciate the advice, but I'm no noob. I certainly don't expect it to be done in 8 days. But I've just never had sulfur before. My question isn't "can I drink it - is it ruined - or am I done?".

It's "how do I get rid of the sulfur"!?

So the answer is - leave it alone. Right?

I am not trying hijack, but I just fermented using some washed US-05 and had a hint of butt to it. Perfect fermentation, kept well, no O2, just racked to keg five minutes ago and got a bit of a sulphury smell. Is this something that happens with wheat? It is on my Fake Berliner Weisse that is 25% wheat, 3.9%abv and has a ton of acid (from acidulated malt). If time heals all wounds, then I will be alright seeing as I have to drink these two kegs and it won't happen too quickly ;)

I should have known!

Yes. After a few weeks in primary, the smell usually goes away. I have had one instance where it still had a sulfer smell at bottling time. I tasted it and it was fine, so I bottled and allowed the beer to condition at 70 degrees for about 6 weeks before drinking. At this point, the smell was gone.

Latest posts

Back