wyeast 1007 temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
Hey I am going to do a golden ale today and the lady at the LABS gave me wyeast german ale 1007 for it. I didn't read the description for it until now. In the northern brewer catalog it says it has a 55-66F temp range. But I don't think there is any way I can ferment it that cold. Will there be real bad off flavors?

I've used that yeast multiple times and it does tend to get really outta wack (heavy weird ester) if it gets hot. I would think that if you could keep it in a water bath and use the frozen water bottle and wet t-shirt method, then you should be able to keep the temp in the acceptable range. It's some work but it is better than wrecking a batch. Also, in my experience 1007 doesnt flocc for crap. Cold crash or filtration is highly recommended.

If you're looking for a neutral ale yeast that can tolerate higher temps, I'd go with something like west coast ale yeast, like US-05 or similar. 1007 is sort of lager yeast's grandfather. It doesn't like getting hot.

Yeah well its all ready in the primary. Will it have to stay at 66ish only until fermentation stops. (I know a noob question) so like a week?

These low temp yeasts tend to be a little slow but with an accurate pitch rate and aeration it should complete primary in a week(6-7days).

For the secondary, sorry for you but the recommended temps are : start secondary at 75 and decrease to 55 until the secondary is finished. But in your case, try to keep it at 66 for as long as you can and you should be fine.

I think I can handle the dropping of the temp. I have it at a consistent 62-65F. Then I guess I gotta cold crash.......

Latest posts

Back