Wyeast 1007 fermentation temp too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckyboomboom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an Alt last Friday and pitched Wyeast 1007. Temperature is 52-57 F. No fermentation yet. I roused the yeast today and am letting it warm up. Is 52F too cold for this yeast or should I re pitch?

Chuckyboomboom

I have an altbier currently fermenting with 1007. Stated preferred range is 55-65, but 52 shouldn't be too bad. After all, she'll warm up as fermentation takes hold. My temps started at 52 and gradually rose to 64 over 1 week. It was definitely not a hugely demonstrative fermenter, but steady. After 7 days I did raise temp to upper 60's to let her finish.
So, Q- are you relying on bubbles to determine if you have fermentation? Don't. As Revvy put it a couple years ago, bubbling is just venting, and is not an accurate measure of fermentation. Take a peak and see if you have Kraesen. If so, she's good. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck!

I wouldn't repitch but I would try to get it to around 55F, if it were me.

Had another thought: I did a starter and she took off within 24 hours. Did you do a starter? If not, did you get good gas production after you smacked it?

JimRausch: No, I did not do a starter. The yeast was past its prime, but I smacked the pack a day earlier and it swelled a little, not much

Chuckyboomboom

This is a strong yeast. It will, however take awhile at that temp. You under pitched a little. I would warm to 55-59 degrees if you can. It will need a little help to get going since it needs to reproduce a whole lot. Maybe play a little Barry White to get it in the mood.

Roed Haus Brewery

Thanks again everyone for contributing your expertise. A little update: once the beer warmed up to upper 60s, it took off like gangbusters. A lot of DMS odor, but I cooled it down to 62 with a water bath, and everything seems to be settling down. Awesome! If it still smells strongly of DMS when I rack it to secondary, I might dry hop it a bit, but we'll see.

Chuckyboomboom

This is one of the best yeast strains for top cropping if you're up for it. You can get a large amount of extremely clean yeast by simply skimming the krausen off into a sanitized jar. This is one of my most favorite aspect to this yeast strain. :D

Edit:
You would probably need to be fermenting in a bucket or other vessel with large opening on top.

Latest posts

Back