WY1728 Sottish Ale short ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
Made a pretty standard 1.050 scottish ale and fermented with 1728. Made a 1L starter 48 hours before pitching. I left it at room temp the entire time and pitched the whole starter.

I aerated with a 2 micron stone for 60 seconds. My fermentors have a thermowell with a temperature sensor.

Cooled the wort to 60.4F and pitched 2pm on saturday. Started fermenting within a few hours. Over the course of sunday it had built up a nice thick krausen, and had risen to 65.2F. I put it in a tub of 61F water because I didn't want it to get much over 65/66. It held nicely at 64.5F.

Monday morning I woke up and it was still very active and it had climbed back up a bit to 65.2F, which I was fine with. But I came home after work and found the krausen completely and totally fallen and airlock activity slowed way down.

I know I need to take a grav reading but has anyone had this experience with this yeast? I've never used it before but what I usually read is long ferments instead of short ones.

Used the wyeast Scottish ale twice now in the past month, both with 1 liter starters for about 24 hours. Both beers fermented at 64, and both finished primary in just over two days, similar to yours. Both beers started around 1.070 and were at 1.020 after three days. Scottish ale yeast has a relatively low attenuation comparatively speaking, so that could be why it finishes a little quicker...

cool, thanks for the note.

I just don't think i've ever seen it where I have a nice think krausen in the morning to absolutely nothing when i get home.

well i finally got around to taking a gravity reading, 1.014 (71% AA).

gotta be the quickest ferment I've ever had.

I happen to be using this same yeast in 3 brews over the last few weeks and have had the same observations. Very fast at primary fermentation. 2 brews were done at about 66 F and one at 60 F. All 3 went quite fast.

Dr Malt

My fermentation temps stay in a similar temperature range, peaks in the mid sixties then stays around 64. I've been using 002/1968 because I like the low attenuation and high flocculation, and I like to be able to bottle quickly. With it finishing at 64 though, I worry about it floccing out prematurely. I thought about switching to this Scottish strain, but when I looked up the optimum temperature range it was actually listed as being a couple degrees higher (002/1968: 65-68, 028/1728: 65-70), so I thought I would be better off sticking with the 002.

It sounds like you all haven't had any trouble with this yeast at the colder temps though. Maybe I should try it. Does it clear pretty quickly after fermentation?

WY1728's stated temp range is 55-75F. Denny has mentioned before he likes it in the high 50's.

This is my first time using it. It seems pretty clear right now 5 days after pitching however.

motobrewer said:
WY1728's stated temp range is 55-75F. Denny has mentioned before he likes it in the high 50's.

This is my first time using it. It seems pretty clear right now 5 days after pitching however.

Good to know. Thanks. WLP028 is listed as 65-70. It even says "does not ferment well less than 62." I was under the impression that WLP028 and WY1728 were the same. I guess not.

OK. An update on one of my brews with this yeast. One of my 3 brews with this yeast was a scotch ale which I fermented in the range of 58 - 60 F. The primary fermentation went very quick in about 3 days. After 7 days I transferred to a carboy from a bucket and it was still very slowly fermenting. I pulled a sample and did a diacetyl check and it was 77 ppb. Sorry, did not do a gravity check. Normally I like these to be below 40 so I an letting it go another week at 62 F. This seems to be a very good fermenting yeast with good flocculation.

Dr Malt :mug:

Latest posts

Back