Wrong yeast, i think. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOBZ

Reaction score
Hello, I've been trolling these forums for a while, and i have done a few extract brews that turned out ok. I got all the equipment needed for all grain, and I screwed up on my yeast.

I was going to do a light honey lager, then decided, I dont know why, to use up some yeast i had stored, ended up being 3068, a wheat yeast . . . but i didnt know it was wheat yeast at the time, and I added it to my lager starter. Would I still get the lager qualities if i keep it fermenting in the 50 degree range, and pretty much get rid of the other yeast qualities? Help would be appreciated.

1. Pitch it and cross fingers?!?

2. Also should I just get a lager yeast tomorrow, and let the wort stay in limbo overnight?

plz forgive my nubness, first batch

-Hutch

I know there are some ale yeasts taht work okay at lager temps and some lager yeasts they use at ale temps (steam beer) but generally its best to use the right kind. So long as you keep the wort sanitized during the whole process, and seal it up w/ a ferm lock during the night, it will be fine pitching the yeast tomorrow.

I would be surprised to see much activity form the hefeweizen yeast at 50F, probably best to get a lager strain tomorrow.

Sorry though i didnt get a respnse in a sense quick enough for me to make the decision to add the yeast mix, so well see what happens, im putting it to a secondary Feb 07, the ncondidtioning for a few weeks before bottling and then more conditioning in fridge, but i wolnt make this mistake again unless it tasts gud :)

Maybe too late but id just pith that hefe yeast and use the recommended temps for it. Itll be a hefe honey. Sounds dwlish to me....

Back