WRONG ORDER received. What can I brew with these crushed grains + hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonkman

Reaction score
Birthday brew order arrives, I open it up and.... what the hell? Instead of my czech lager ingredients, I have... Franco-Belges Coffee Malt.... 8oz citra... an auto siphon..... Northern Brewer sent me the wrong box. And they say I can keep it.

Help me make this into a recipe? I'm brewing tomorrow before leaving on holiday. The grains are already crushed. [BTW, does crushed black malt and the like last? Does it need to be used right away?]

Here's what I got (bagged separately):

1lb Black malt
1lb Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee malt
1lb Carabrown malt
3lb German Pilsner malt
1lb English Coffee Malt

(heck of a a grain bill)

8oz citra
2oz amarillo
2oz cluster
2oz czech saaz

And an auto siphon.

I've got a little bit of Marris Otter, Crystal 60L, Chocolate malt in the basement. Also: US-05, Wyeast 3068 (weihenstephen), and saflager 34/70.

Dark lager?

Stout vibe?

Last edited:
I don't see how you can put those together in one beer. You have over 50% toasted and roasted grains in there and you'll only manage about 3.5% abv. I would split them up, if they aren't mixed, use some for this brew and freeze the rest.

If they are mixed, perhaps take a portion of it and combine with base malt or pale extract to make a darker beer - brown, porter or stout.

Last edited:
That Franco-Belges coffee malt is strong, astringent stuff, BTW. I agree that you do not want to use all that stuff in one batch.

Any grain bill ideas? I can supplement from LHBS (limited selection).

Any hop combos to go along with it?

You have a shiatload of roasted malt there. If the crushed grains are already mixed, you'll need to "dilute" that with some more base malt. Whatever is not used in this beer could be stored in airtight bags in the freezer. That will give you some time before you use the rest. Limiting temp and exposure to the air should buy you a few months to decide what you want to do next.

Should have added: they are bagged separately.

Then the possibilities are wide open. Assuming you're going with a dark beer of some sort due to the grain choices, what's your preference? Stout will of course maximize the amount you can use in one go.

I like fragrantly malty beers - browns, malty lagers - more toasty than coffee, usually. Hoppy very welcome too. Could totally try do a stout.

If the beer's good, I can roll with any style.

Hmm, I guess shelve that English coffee malt for testing later if you're not keen on coffee. You could maybe try something between porter and stout, using a bit of the Franco-Belges to test it out? I use English Black Patent and I'm assuming US black malt is similar, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

3 lbs Pils + 6 lbs MO
1 lb Black malt
1 lb Carabrown
0.25 Franco-Belges (or omit, if no coffee wanted at all)
1 oz Cluster @ 60 (24 IBU)
Finishing hops as desired
US-05
60 minute mash at 154F. Adjust water as required for 5.5pH (if you modify water)

This will get you up around 6% ABV.

Last edited:
Or knock that black malt down to 0.3 lbs and you have a brown ale. You can hit it with some of those citrusy hops too at maybe 10 and FO, then an oz dry hop. I like to go hoppier on browns than porters/stouts, but ymmv.

I think I might do a graf (apple-y beer; see Brandon O's / Gunslinger's Graf):

3lb Pilsner
2lb DME
8oz english coffee malt
8oz carabrown
4oz crystal 60L
4oz Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee malt
3oz black malt

1oz saaz at 60min.

That'll yield 2.5 gal of wort. To which will be added 3 gal apple juice and US-05. Had a coffee apple cake few days ago - can imagine that carbonated for sure.

Back