WPL 029 kolsch yeast. good for other styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehause

Reaction score
I'm going to be transferring my Kolsch that used WPL029. I want to wash the yeast and build up a a few good "starter ready" jars. Is there another style other than Kolsch that benefits from using this yeast?

Summer ale! I make a summer ale with Citra and Nelson Sauvin. A little wheat with M.O. Ferment at 60, nice quaffable ale for summer time!

WLP029 is my house strain. I use it for everything except German wheats and Saisons. It works well with most of the American styles with some care--cream ale, blond ale, amber ale, etc. And, as TzeentchPlayer says, you can get very lager-like with some work.

Bump! I just used the WLP029 yeast in a Kolsch that is currently in the garage "lagering". I washed the yeast and would like to use it again for an Oktoberfest and Schwarzbier since it is lager-like. Anyone have experience with using the 029 for these other styles of beer?

I used WLP029 for a turbodog clone, which is kind of a dark english brown ale. it was quite good. I think WLP029 is a possibility for anything where you want a very clean flavor.

The Alaskan Brewing Company Amber Ale clone I've made uses it... Great beer and a great strain.

I used it to make a munich dunkel. It came out a bit minerally and dry, but otherwise it was good. Next time I want to make a malt-forward faux-lager I'm going to try the altbier strain wlp036.

I'm going to be transferring my Kolsch that used WPL029. I want to wash the yeast and build up a a few good "starter ready" jars. Is there another style other than Kolsch that benefits from using this yeast?

ArizonaDB said:
Bump! I just used the WLP029 yeast in a Kolsch that is currently in the garage "lagering". I washed the yeast and would like to use it again for an Oktoberfest and Schwarzbier since it is lager-like. Anyone have experience with using the 029 for these other styles of beer?

Check out EdWorts Octoberfest recipe using this same yeast in the recipe section under Hybrid Amber Ale. I am going to try this before winter is over and my basement gets above the 59* it currently is.

The Alaskan Brewing Company Amber Ale clone I've made uses it... Great beer and a great strain.

Brewed up Alaskan amber with wlp029 last fall. I personally thought it was a good beer but I'm a hop head, however I handed out holiday 8 packs of mixed beers this Xmas and could believe how many compliments I got. Seems everyone loves the stuff(keep in mind I live in yuengling traditional lager country).

Kolsch yeast is very versatile. I prefer the Wyeast 2565 stain. I have made APA's, American Wheat, American Blonde, European Lagers, Oktoberfests and of course Kolsch style beers with this yeast and all have turned out well.

It will ferment in the 56-68 degree range and my original intent was to produce lager style beers at ale temps, but now that I have a refrigerator and can produce real lagers, I find that I actually prefer ale style beers with kolsch over most lagers. It does have a particular yeast taste and lets the malt through, which I like, but may not be for everyone or for all styles. If you dont go ape **** on the hopping and keep your SG at 1.055 or below, you will produce a very drinkable beer. Use a starter for all beers. Cheers!

Back