Would you use this starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I began prepping a 3L starter (Cal 001) for a brew that I had hoped to make roughly five days after making the starter. I began with 1L, fermented that out, decanted and added 2L of wort and that fermented out nicely. As it turns out I missed my targeted brew day and will be lucky to brew this coming Sunday so we're looking at about three weeks.

Here's the question: I have the starter covered in foil. Am I at risk of oxidation since I don't have the starter completely buttoned up air tight? I plan on decanting before pitching so if there is any oxidation would that affect the yeast? As always, thanks in advance.

Two weeks ago I began prepping a 3L starter (Cal 001) for a brew that I had hoped to make roughly five days after making the starter. I began with 1L, fermented that out, decanted and added 2L of wort and that fermented out nicely. As it turns out I missed my targeted brew day and will be lucky to brew this coming Sunday so we're looking at about three weeks.

Here's the question: I have the starter covered in foil. Am I at risk of oxidation since I don't have the starter completely buttoned up air tight? I plan on decanting before pitching so if there is any oxidation would that affect the yeast? As always, thanks in advance.

Is it in a fridge? If it has been, I think you're going to be OK. I'd actually think of pitching the yeast into a new starter, just to get it ready to go.

No risk of oxidation, btw. You don't need to worry about that until after the fermentation is complete.

Yeah, oxidation would be the least of your concerns. Consider what a stir plate is designed to do: continously introduce oxyegen to encourage yeast growth. I would decant, add some more wort, let that ferment out then pitch.

I'm in the same boat. I have a starter that has been sitting in the fridge covered in foil for two weeks. My bigger concern was contamination. Not sure weather I'm going to use it or not.

yeah foil is risky in the fridge. The fridge has a lot of interesting little guys in it sometimes. You'd be better off putting an air lock on it keeping it like a mini beer then using some of the trub to make another starter. Or dump into mason jar then fridge.

Yeah, originally it went in the fridge to be decanted and pitched the next day but plans changed. I put a double rubber band around the base of the foil to create a better seal but I'm still weary.

Taste the beer, it is surely fine. I just did the same, pitched a two week starter and had activity in four hours. I decanted the beer and tasted the sample. Not bad for no hops and 36 hours of aeration on a stirplate.

Back