Would you use a Blowoff for this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
I am doing the Robust Vanilla porter from Brewing classic styles tonight and will be pitching 2 vials of WLP001. I have about 2.5-3 inches of headspace before the neck. I'm thinking a blowoff is good insurance but I'm curious what the consensus is.

Just pitched with a Blowoff. If it's not needed, no harm. If it becomes necessary then it's in place.

The stout I'm drinking right now was brewed for the first day of fermentation with an air lock....til I noticed my bulldog growling at the closet door and heard some funny noises, only to open the door and see suds coming out through the air lock. I then pulled the air lock and rubber stopper, which resulted in getting sparyed in the face with stout, and put a blowoff tube on. Since then I've used a blowoff tube for everything, airlock is for secondary only now.

No harm in using a blowoff tube, but possible harm from using an airlock :D

If you suspect that there's even a chance that you'll need it then use a blowoff. There's no reason not to.

Since I always use a blow off hose for every brew.... My opinion is yes!! An ounce of prevention = ............ :mug:

+1. On the few occasions I didn't, or worse thought that vigorous fermentation was done, I"ve paid the price. I really, really hate cleaning out the inside of my fermentation fridge :mad:.

GT

Always use a blow off if you have one. I brewed a 1.052 Wit yesterday, fermenting at 66degrees, It's been filling up my blow off bottle all day. Thats with a low gravity beer.

I always use a blow off, at least for the initial first week. And lately, since the fascination with watching the airlock bubbling has lessened, I have just left the blow off on the whole time. Unless you enjoy playing "Beer On My Ceiling Roulette", I can't imagine a good reason to not use a blow off every time.

I just did my first brew about 2 weeks ago... did a Nut Brown Ale for my first brew.
Got everything in the primary and used a airlock, kept an eye on it the rest of the day and went to bed around 9pm (by then she was bubbling pretty good)
woke up around 1am and decided to take a peak at it... well to my surprise it was raging and krausin was coming out of the air lock, so I quickly cleaned and sanitized my blow off tube and got it put in..
Blow off tube in the primary for me from now on!

Back