Would you purchase these pots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMCD35

Reaction score
I have always wanted to brew all-grain so I am new in this, but have been reading up on it quite a bit. So now here is the question. I have a opportunity today to buy three pots with burners for $39.95 apiece, total $119.85.

I read the SS versus ALU threads.
I read the 30qt versus 40qt threads.

And i see these as a inexpensive start

These pots are new in box.
Model# 3066A
Bayou Classic 30 quart
55,000 BTU (10 PSI)

What do ya'll think?

Yeah those are only BARELY big enough for a full volume 5 gallon batch. I did a couple batches on something exactly the same size and if I looked away for 1 second the damn thing would boil over. Ended up getting a converted keg and using the 30 quart pot for a hot liquor tank (for which it's perfect).

I have a 28 or 30 quart pot (don't remember) and wish i had gotten bigger. I do have to watch very carefully after I start for boil overs, but after that it is usually fine.

If you can, get a bigger pot, but if you really don't have the money, these will work, but its close. It really only leaves you about 1.5 gallons of room for the boil. I start with 6 gallons and boil down to 5.

Points on pot size are valid, but I still do 6 in a 7.5 gallon pot. Yes, I have to watch for the break and adjust immediately or get a boil over, but I am doing this anyway to minimize scorching on the bottom. I boil outside on concrete and a gallon of tap water on hand is all that is required should it go over.

Like I was saying I see these as a inexpensive start. Don't really want to spend to much starting. I can see having to watch for boil overs, or having to use fermcap-s. Unless home brewing will instantly make new friends appear, i can not see myself needing to brew up more than 5g batches. Couldn't I just learn to scale down a little to prevent boil overs.

Like I was saying I see these as a inexpensive start. Don't really want to spend to much starting. I can see having to watch for boil overs, or having to use fermcap-s. Unless home brewing will instantly make new friends appear, i can not see myself needing to brew up more than 5g batches. Couldn't I just learn to scale down a little to prevent boil overs.

Larger pots are just few bucks more. I have 40 qt alluminium pot and I wish I had bigger one, to the point that I basically have to buy second pot (60 qt) and keep 40 qt as reserve or HLT. I do BIABs and there is no way you can do them in 30 qt pot with 10-12 lbs of grain, unless you planning to do 2-3 gal batches for the rest of your life.
I was at local wholesale store last weekent and was shocked to see 60 qt thick wall alluminium cooking pots (for restaurant use) for just $69! Add a weldless spigot to that ($20) and you set for life. If you buy 30 qt I can almost assure you, you will be buying another one later on wasting money

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but why do you need 3 * 30 qt pots?
I've never found it necessary to have more than 1 kettle, and found that a 40 qt kettle is much better than 30 qt.

-a.

I have a 32 qt pot and wish I had larger, you end up spending quite a bit of time cleaning the burnt sugars off the side of the kettle from the boil overs. You can do a lot with one kettle and some food grade plastic buckets. I mash in a single food grade bucket and then transfer to a Zapap system (see pic below) to sparge. I started with this system just to get started with all grain and still use it today. I prefer it to using a cooler.

IMG_0242.jpg

The 30 qt should be fine for an HLT but for a kettle it's a bit small. However, since they come with burners the extra pot is almost a bonus since your basic burner is $20 anyway at Academy.

Do youself a favor though and get youself a used keg for your kettle though. Unless you get really crazy into this hobby you'll never outgrow it and they're only $50 and SS.

Back