Would you like a lemon with that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Pistolero said:
I've acknowledged your pizza. :cool:

And by the way...I didn't say that was your sauce...just said it wasn't fit for a yankee. A met might like it just fine. :p

LOL - funny you should mention it, my favorite pizza shop told me at lunch they're becoming carpet-baggers, headed down to palm springs, fl to start a new shop....damn shame for me, now i gotta hunt down the second best pizza in town.

They should come down here...the few NY style places around here are packed all the time, and dang, suddenly I'm real hungry. :)

I was dumb about a lot of things until a barmaid showed me the light :eek:

I can't beleive this thread is still going and I"m getting updates on it.
however I just read in a book by Eric Warner, titled German Wheat beer.
This fellow graduated from the prestigious Weihenstephan school of brewing in Germany. ( they brew one of the best Hefe Weizens you have ever tasted by the way).
And Hefe Weizen has been brewed in germany since the 17th century.
He sums it up pretty well when he said he never saw a lemon tree growing in Germany all the time he was there.
However I know as you all do, that as things get sent around the world, people do things with them and to them not origianally done by the place of origin.
so if that's what you like, then have at it, but I'll still have mine plain.
Perhaps while you are at it you (who like it with fruit), could get the barkeep to add a little umbrella too.
I'm sorry I couldn't resist, I think the devil made me do it.

As I recall, the origin of this thread was that a lemon was served in a bouly wheat. I'm originally from Kansas City, so I kind of feel bad saying this, but Boulevard does not produce a quality of wheat beer that can be appreciated without the lemon. Paulaner does make a good hefe, and does not need a lemon (sorry I can't remember who brought this up earlier). I may be biased though, because I am not a fan of the weizen, hefe or otherwise, but I especially hate putting stuff in my beer. It's supposed to taste good on its own. It's like putting sauce on a steak. If it needs it, it's bad.

I agree it would seem that the thread has wandered a bit, and you are correct the American wheat beers are different , I won't say bad just different and have to be enjoyed on thier own merit. They do lend themselves to an additional flavor such as Rasberry wheat or Cherry wheat etc.
Sierra Nevada has an unflitered wheat that is a bit hoppy (as wheat beers go ) and it can stand alone. this is my opinion only.

rewster451 said:
As I recall, the origin of this thread was that a lemon was served in a bouly wheat. I'm originally from Kansas City, so I kind of feel bad saying this, but Boulevard does not produce a quality of wheat beer that can be appreciated without the lemon.
When I started this thread I thought that Boulevard Wheat was dang near the best stuff that I'd ever had. But after finishing the case that I brought home with me, I think that I have to agree with you...if it needs a lemon then the beer's probably not all that it could be. :( Which begs the question, are american micro breweries and brew pubs pawning off a lot of mediocre wheat beers on an unsuspecting public. :mad:

El Pistolero said:
When I started this thread I thought that Boulevard Wheat was dang near the best stuff that I'd ever had. But after finishing the case that I brought home with me, I think that I have to agree with you...if it needs a lemon then the beer's probably not all that it could be. :( Which begs the question, are american micro breweries and brew pubs pawning off a lot of mediocre wheat beers on an unsuspecting public. :mad:

Boulevard is "dang near the best stuff"??? Yikes! I had it at a wedding a few weeks back, and all I thought was that it was OK. There are plenty of good wheat beers out there with better flavor than Boulevard.

And FWIW, I say "Repeal Reinheinsgebot" (sp?). If you want to add some funk to your beer, be it in the form of fruits, vegetables, meats and whatever, go ahead. Some beers are decent with fruit. Blue Moon is traditionally served with an orange. In Europe, they have neat little plastic muddlers that they serve with their wheat beers so you can crush the lemon.

Traditionally, Wheat beers were served with lemon to alter the flavor. Better yeast means better flavors these days, but some people like the taste I guess.

Cheesefood said:
Traditionally, Wheat beers were served with lemon to alter the flavor.
My point exactly...it the beer was good, why would you want to alter the flavor?
Cheesefood said:
Boulevard is "dang near the best stuff"???
I said that was what I thought at the time...it was one of the first wheat's I ever had. :eek:

how far back do we have to go for tradition?? as I stated in my earlier post there are no lemon trees in Germany.
And sice they had no air freight I doubt they were imported. besides what's wrong with the taste of a GOOD WHEAT?? either way it's up to the individual
I have seen people eat some strange things together and like it, so I guess it will also work with beer.
I mean I never liked FDS either, plain is great. :D

El Pistolero said:
Which begs the question, are american micro breweries and brew pubs pawning off a lot of mediocre wheat beers on an unsuspecting public. :mad:

...and what have I been saying all along...??!? :drunk:

Plus charging $3.50 a glass for .25 worth of beer.

I was in Cescke Budejovice (Budweis) where I drank the original Bud for $0.53 a half liter.

snaproll said:
how far back do we have to go for tradition?? as I stated in my earlier post there are no lemon trees in Germany.
And sice they had no air freight I doubt they were imported. besides what's wrong with the taste of a GOOD WHEAT?? either way it's up to the individual
I have seen people eat some strange things together and like it, so I guess it will also work with beer.
I mean I never liked FDS either, plain is great. :D

Bubba, your knowledge of history is very lacking. Lemons have as well as spices from the far and middle East plus Africa have been imported to western Europe and England since medieval times. I can show you recipes for mead from the 1500's that have fresh squeezed lemons in it.

When I was in Germany with my college soccer (football) team, I drank a lot of German beer.
Too bad I was so drunk, I don't remember if they put a lemon, orange, or Ron Jeremy in my beer.
Or if I even drank a Weissen. ??????

Good Times.....:rockin:

desiderata said:
When I was in Germany with my college soccer (football) team, I drank a lot of German beer.
Too bad I was so drunk, I don't remember if they put a lemon, orange, or Ron Jeremy in my beer.
Or if I even drank a Weissen. ??????

Good Times.....:rockin:

:confused:

You revived a year-old thread to tell us that? ;)

OK, so my point is made yet again. Why do we need a beer that we have to add sour fruit to so it tastes good? What kind of man walks around with a lemon in his pocket? "Excuse me sir, but you don't happen to have a little citrus for my beer do you?" Probably drives a Harley too...

Did I ever tell you all I hate wheat beer?

Actually, I do like lemon, especially with a little bourbon. I also like Harleys. But wheat beer. Well, all I can say is I keep trying and so far none of you Hefe lovers need to worry about me draining the supply.

the_bird said:
:confused:

You revived a year-old thread to tell us that? ;)

Yep. My (poor) attempt at humor.

On topic, though, when I lived in KC, I drank plenty of Boulevard wheat, and it was always served with a lemon. I like it, but have never tried it without. Hmmm.:confused:

Brewpastor said:
I am simply a thread slut: any old thread that invites me in, well, I am in...

You're a discriminating thread slut, BP. Any old thread...just so long as that thread is discussing wheat beer. That way, you'll be able to inform us, yet again, of your hefe-hatred. :D

Well here is my reply to the latest .
I too was in Germany and I too was very drunk but I do remember I never had a Wiesen. I had all pils ( I was in western Germany ) and I still ask for no fruit in my beer.
Hell even the Miller light comercials say it's man law no fruit in beer!! Heck they could use it !!LOL

Ok I'm a thread slut too. I always ***** at the bartender for putting that **** in my hefe. Unlike the Pastor, I like an occasional Hefe. But you can keep the salad bar. (Same goes for tequila)

Seems like most of the bars around here ask - and if they don't, they garnish the glass so you can do what you want. I usually use the fruit - I like the taste.

Boulevard is one of the best beers I have had, great with a slice of lemon, gotta have it draw though, the bottle just doesn't taste right

Brewpastor said:
Actually, I do like lemon, especially with a little bourbon. I also like Harleys. But wheat beer. Well, all I can say is I keep trying and so far none of you Hefe lovers need to worry about me draining the supply.

I'm not that fond of wheat beer either. But lemon or lime goes well with a lot of things and improves the flavor, or brings out some subtle characteristic that just isn't accessible when the lemon or lime is cooked in to start with.

For example, certain seafoods are really brightened up by the addition of lemon. The lemon is overpowering if cooked with the seafood, but a little spritz on top before you eat the prepared dish is an altogether different thing.

Espresso is great with a dash of coarsely ground fresh black pepper and a spritz of lemon, or a bit of the zest.

Well-made posole and menudo are quite good on their own, but add a bit of finely chopped raw onion, chopped fresh cilantro, and the juice of half a lime to your bowl just before eating it and the flavors are divine. You are eating something altogether different. You'd never get the same effect by cooking those ingredients with the soup.

Even a plain barbacoa taco is immeasurably improved by the addition of a squirt of lime.

However, this is not true of bourbon. Why do we need a bourbon that we have to add sour fruit to so it tastes good? Just drink Woodford Reserve, and you'll find there's no need for such sacrilege.

beer4breakfast said:
Espresso is great with a dash of coarsely ground fresh black pepper and a spritz of lemon, or a bit of the zest.

BronsonPinchotBeverlyHillsCopThatsNotSexySerge.jpg

My favorite coffee drink is a "black eye"; two shots of espresso in a cup of dark roast coffee.

They ask me "Leave room for cream and sugar?"
"What the f*ck do you think?"

Well, that sounds good too. Now all you gotta do is grind a bit of black pepper in it, and squeeze in some lemon. Ta dum! Try it. You'll like it!

Yeah, normal coffee I drink black. My normal cup is just coffee, not espresso and coffee, but it is stout.

beer4breakfast said:
Touched a nerve! Espresso sucks with lemon in it, but bad espresso can be made palatable with a squeeze of lemon. Kind of like I can drink instant coffee at my in-laws' house if I hold my nose and chug it (purely out of necessity).

Sorry...I was a coffee snob even before I was a beer snob :D

Back