Would this work for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
I currently have 1 lager already in the lagering phase and down at 34F. I kind of want to do another since I am only 1 week into a month rest. Would it work if I let it ferment at 64F in my ale fermenting box then rack to secondary, and transfer it halfway through primary right after the active fermentation ends into the lagering chamber at 34F? Another option is I could possibly rig up a different t-stat on my ale fermenter so that I can get it lower than 64F even though it really isn't designed to go that low. 58F would probably be the lowest it could achieve. I hate to wait another 3 weeks to start another lager but I guess I would if this would not produce a good lager.

At those temps I would consider using a Cal Common or Kolsch yeast instead of a true lager strain. I would recommend not fermenting a lager around 64 and them moving down to 34 before fermentation is complete. I would say brew an ale or wait until you can ferment a lager at the optimal temp.

I kinda figured that would be the case. Maybe next time I do a lager I will marathon brew so I can fill up the chamber. I hate seeing all that wasted space.

I know what you mean. I am running into the same problem, except with a temperature controller. I only have one, brewed a lager, and now I have to wait until it's done before brewing again. So, instead I just bought another temp controller. no one ever said this was cheap hobby. :mug:

I know what you mean. I am running into the same problem, except with a temperature controller. I only have one, brewed a lager, and now I have to wait until it's done before brewing again. So, instead I just bought another temp controller. no one ever said this was cheap hobby. :mug:

buy some "cubes" and no chill your batches then you can have an "unfermented" pipeline going. plenty of beer ready for yeast whenever a fermentation vessel/chamber is open.

I have pretty much an unlimited supply of controllers I just don't have space for more chambers LOL. I don't know why but I thought bigger is better so have a 13ish cuft freezer as my chamber. Next time I start lagers I may try and get 2 batches done on sat then get up early and do another on sun that way I could have 3 different ones going and all lagering at the same time. It's driving me nuts watching that one just sitting there.

I was having that same problem, then I started doing 10 gallon batches. I would make one lager batch, lagering for 6-8 weeks. I would go through a keg faster than that, so I would always run out. 10 gallon batches allow me to have that extra keg..

Back