Would like to brew an all grain beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnoonan85

Reaction score
Hey guys ! Fairly new to making beer so I was just wondering what I would need to start an all grain beer ? Equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depends:

What equipment you already have?
How large of batches you are thinking of brewing?
Are you planning on going with mash tun or BIAB?
What is your budget?

Depends:

What equipment you already have?

How large of batches you are thinking of brewing?

Are you planning on going with mash tun or BIAB?

What is your budget?

I currently have a 6 gallon carboy , and a 24l bucket. I would like to have 5-6 gallons and I don't know which is better ( BIAB/mash tun) and I would like to go as cheap a possible

Try BIAB first and if you like it you can continue BIAB or step up to a complete all-grain system. You will need a big kettle for 5-6 gal of BIAB unless you split the batch. Something around 10 gal should work.

Try BIAB first and if you like it you can continue BIAB or step up to a complete all-grain system. You will need a big kettle for 5-6 gal of BIAB unless you split the batch. Something around 10 gal should work.

What is BIAB and where can I get it? And by kettle I have a huge pot that I can use

What is BIAB and where can I get it? And by kettle I have a huge pot that I can use

Short answer BIAB (brew in a bag). You put the grain in a bag (most use paint strainer bags from Lowe's or such) and then put it in the hot water to mash. The hot water can be in either a cooler or a pot (cooler is easier to hold temp). If you use a pot and actually add heat to maintain temp be very careful so you don't melt you bag. After mash you just pull the bag out of the container, let it drip/drain, and you have wort. You can also sparge but see the link below for much more detail.

Here is the complete BIAB thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

How huge is huge pot? For 5 gallon batches you will need 8 gal minimum and 10 is better.

Since doing full boils with AG a wort chiller is nice to have but you can use an ice bath at least for a few batches.

Back