Would like some reassurance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFrag

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I brewed my first batch today. American IPA extract brew from Austin Hombrew Supply. I followed directions as closely as I could. In my kit, i bought some vent brew that is what they called to, to increase alcohol content. The specific gravity of the wort before fermenting was supposed to be 1.060. Mine was 1.030. Is this going to be a problem?

More than likely you didn't stir well enough to completely mix the extact with the water. It's common with extract batches.

Unless you really mess up your volume (i.e. add water to 10 gallons rather than to 5 gallons), the gravity on extact batches are usually right where they should be.

I'd bet a dollar you gravity is right at ~1.060.

More than likely you didn't stir well enough to completely mix the extact with the water. It's common with extract batches

+1

Even if you think you stirred enough, you probably didn't. You have to shake the holy hell out of your fermenter bucket for 3-4 minutes before it's all mixed. Kits are generally going to be correct in their OG estimates as long as you added all the ingredients and ended up with the correct volume of wort.

Ok, i have it in a betterboy bottle. I have a stopper with a water seal. How can I mix it up without dropping the water in the water seal into the betterboy?

At this point, just let it go. The yeast will do a fine job of mixing it all up. Watch your fermenter once is really gets going, some fermentations almost look like the wort is boiling.

I don't believe not mixing will negatively affect the beer. The only reason to mix at this point would be to get the accurate hydro reading. If you got all volumes correct then your OG will be as the kit stated. At least within a couple point anyway depending on boil off. I think your just fine right where you are.

lol. Ok. Another problem. I just went to check the fermentation. I have it in a refrigerator with a PID controller. I opened the door to find that the stopper has blown off the better boy. wtf. I know this means that there is good fermentation going on. But has this now contaminated my beer? I replaced it.

I don't believe not mixing will negatively affect the beer. The only reason to mix at this point would be to get the accurate hydro reading. If you got all volumes correct then your OG will be as the kit stated. At least within a couple point anyway depending on boil off. I think your just fine right where you are.

The aeration will also make the wort a better environment for the yeast to reproduce. So it's going to help get that cell count a boost as fermentation is kicking off.

That said, I didn't mix my first batch and the result was great (using dry yeast).

At this point, just let it go. The yeast will do a fine job of mixing it all up. Watch your fermenter once is really gets going, some fermentations almost look like the wort is boiling.

+1

Next time, before pitching yeast and adding the bung and airlock, put the bottle on the floor, cover the top with your sanitized hand, and rock it back and forth for a few minutes. It'll slosh and get all frothy. Then you're good to draw your hydro sample, then pitch yeast, then cover+airlock.

I can not believe that I haven't saw this in here yet but RDWHAHB.It is really hard to mess up beer without actively try to. You might have beer that is just okay but it will be beer none the less.

The only way the reading would be correct is if you made a 10 gallon batch with 5 gallons worth of ingredients.

If you do a partial boil, it is very hard to get an accurate original gravity. You have to thoroughly mix the beer with the water you are adding. If you didn't stir really well before taking a reading, the sample you took was mostly water.

8 pounds of extract and a pound of crystal grain will give you this:

8 x 35 (points per gallon for extract) = 280
1 x 20 (points per gallon for specialty grain) = 20

300 divided by 5 gallons = 60 or roughly 1.060

So you did get 1.060 it was just mostly water in your sample.

Forrest

Everyone should feel free to contact Austin Homebrew directly if there is a concern. Since this is someone else's forum I only check it once in awhile. We are glad to help.

Forrest

I talked to you guys when I my malt extract had mold in it. Yeah, I had it too long. You guys were very helpful and gave great advice. I didn't want to bother you guys with this kind of stuff. Figured I'd get some good help here.

OK, I rechecked my specific gravity. Started, like I said at the beginning with 1.030. Now it is 1.019. Will recheck today to see what it is. How many in a row the same do I need to know that fermentation is done and I can keg?

Latest posts

Back