Worthington White Shield Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slymaster

Reaction score
I have searched for an accurate Worthington White Shield Clone recipe and found nothing satisfying. The color was off, the hops were not the good variety, the malt was not right and the ABV wasn’t spot on.

So from all the serious sources of information I found on the subject, I came with this recipe that hits all the numbers and uses all the right ingredients. As it is such a classic brew, I thought a long mash (75 min) and a long boil (90 min) should be made.

Here’s my recipe for a 6 U.S. Gallons Batch (5 Imperial Gallons)

Water Agents
0.5 tbsp Chalk
1.5 tbsp Gypsum

Mash (75 min @ 149 F)
9.5 lbs Halcyon Malt
12 oz English Crystal 150

Hops
0.75 oz. Fuggles @ 90 min.
0.75 oz. Challenger @ 90 min.
1.25 oz. Northdown @ 10 min.

Clearing Agent
1 tbsp Irish Moss @ 10 min.

Adjuncts
1 lbs. Lyle’s Golden Syrup (Inverted Sugar) @ 0 min.

BOIL 90 min
OG 1.053
FG 1.010
IBU 40.6
SRM 13.1
ABV 5.6 %

Prime for a 2.0 vol. carbonation

What do you think?
Anything I should adjust to make it closer to the classic Worthington White Shield IPA?

That's a good reference taken from a 25+ years book but the ingredients are a little off (like, there is no EKG hops in the White Shield). I sourced my infos from the brewery, from Michael Jackson and a few other folks who've been there, so I think the list of ingredients is pretty accurate.

The interresting thing about your reference is the process. I didn't think about an hour and a half mash and a few other things. This also made me think that traditionnal breweries used to do a thick mash, with les water. That will be some thinks I might adjust for sure to get a bit closer.

Here's a more modern reference, Mitch Steel's IPA book:

Use Burton-on-Trent water with 0.068 oz gypsum per gallon.

Pale Ale Malt 97%
Crystal Malt 3% (# not stated)
Invert Sugar 1.13 oz per gallon at whirpool.

OG 1.053
FG 1.009
IBU 40
ABV 5.6
Color 13.3 L

Use 1.28 qt/lb.
Mash 154 for 90, then raise to 162
Sparge with 165 water.

90 min boil with targeted 10% evaporation.

Add 45% Fuggle (4% AA), 20% Challenger (7.4% AA) at start of boil. 5 min before knockout, add 34.5% Northdown.

Cool to 61 and pitch Burton Union yeast (?) at rate of .5 oz per gallon. Allow temp to free rise to 68 over 5 days.

After primary, cool to 43 and hold for minimum of 3 days.

Rest talks about racking into cask and finings.

Recipe looks very close to yours with just longer mash.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome! The ingredients are pretty dead on, except that Michael Jackson specified that the Pale Malt variety was Halcyon. It's also good to have a better idea of the % of hops used and all the process.

It really looks like Mitch Steele got his hands on the actual recipe or talked with the master brewer. You just can't imagine the process and temp changes like that.

Thanks a million, I'll post the updated recipe when it's done.

I've been too busy to brew it this fall but I'm getting my hands on the ingredients and planning to brew it during christmas time. I'll let you know for sure.

Until quite recently it was widely available in British supermarkets, but it's the kind of beer that's been pushed out by their move into ...more trendy... beers. Looking at Untappd there's been a couple of checkins from Bargain Booze lately, so that might be worth a look.

Back