Worth pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlova2

Reaction score
I made a big .75 gallon starter in a 1 gallons just on my stir plate with 1 package wyeast 1010. Woke up this morning to see a bunch of overflow all over my counter and stir plate. I am wondering whether this was probably most of my yeast? If so I guess I'll just pitch some us-05 because I don't want to underpitch...

My understanding is that the amount of yeast you lost is proportional to the amount of liquid you lost, more or less. I.e., if you lost half of your liquid volume, you lost half of your yeast. You could always just cold crash to see how much you've got in there, and then step up with a bit more wort if you don't have enough.

Ok. The only thing is that the liquid I found that overflowed looked like yeast sludge and not just wort or beer so I am wondering if it was primarily yeast. Damn what a waste of time energy and money just to have all of it overflow!

Ok. The only thing is that the liquid I found that overflowed looked like yeast sludge and not just wort or beer so I am wondering if it was primarily yeast. Damn what a waste of time energy and money just to have all of it overflow!

Actually...I take back what I just said. I read too fast and was picturing something else. You've still got the majority of your yeast in there though. Crash and restep if you're concerned. (And get a bigger starter jar).

Latest posts

Back