Wort too hot for yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injen69

Reaction score
I just started a wheat beer today. Boiled wort and sugar and 700g of honey.
The temp in the bucket is hotter then my temp guage on the side. (31oc)
I have it outside to cool. I suppose its too hot for the yeast?

If you can't read the temp yet it's a bit hot. I usually bring mine down to around 75F using an immersion chiller. Assuming you don't have one you can put the bucket in a sink and fill the sink with ice water. This will help bring the temp down.

You want the yeast and the wort to be about the same temp as you dont want to shock or kill the yeast. I believe within about 5 degrees or so should be fine. If you cool to 75 and your yeast is sitting at room temp at 70 that should be good.

you should be at least down to about 24C before pitching and lower is better, 20-21 is best, but yes so long as its not too hot it will be okay. if your wort is too hot it can shock the yeast and it can produce off flavors or make the yeast fail to work well and you'll get a stuck fermentation.

I wish I had of added cooler water.... is it fine to leave it over nite before pitching the yeast?

Does anyone know a good site for wine discussion?
I have a red wine on .... soon ready to bottle and unsure if I should filter it or not. Heard it take out color and taste?

+1 to the off flavors.. First batch I didn't have a chiller and was in too big of a hurry to wait. I pitched the yeast at 80° and that lead my beer to taste off for three months.. after the third month it started tasting pretty good.

Given enough time the flavors seem to work themselves out.

Great now this thread has me worried about pitching my wheat beer at 90 F.

Latest posts

Back