Wort Storage / Share Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
So I am participating in a wort share contest with a local brewery and the wort pick-up is this weekend and I have a few questions.

First, is there any way to store the wort safely to brew say a week or two from now? I want to do a NEIPA but I want it to be fresh and the judging isn't until March 2nd (this recipe ferments out and hits FG in almost 3 days).

Second, I have a specific water profile for this beer I want and I am just wondering if I can do it on the backend with received wort. Typically I am adding it part on the front end with preboil water and then at the end with post boil water.

I appreciate the help, thanks!

I'd think as long as you follow proper sanitation procedures you'll be ok for a week.

I know there are some salts you can put after the fact to adjust your water. I'm not a water guy so sorry I can't be more specific but maybe someone will chime in or you can search for what kind of salts you can put in after the fact.

So I am participating in a wort share contest with a local brewery and the wort pick-up is this weekend and I have a few questions.

First, is there any way to store the wort safely to brew say a week or two from now? I want to do a NEIPA but I want it to be fresh and the judging isn't until March 2nd (this recipe ferments out and hits FG in almost 3 days).

Second, I have a specific water profile for this beer I want and I am just wondering if I can do it on the backend with received wort. Typically I am adding it part on the front end with preboil water and then at the end with post boil water.

I appreciate the help, thanks!

Do you know what the water profile in the wort you got is? If not then you additions may not work as intended. But you can tailor it to taste by adding stuff at this point.

Yea unfortunately, I have no idea what the base wort will have, I plan to add 2 gallons more to it and for the recipe I am going for I typically do the following with distilled water:

At Start (first 2 gallons):

3g Gypsum
8g Calcium Chloride

At Finish (last 2 gallons, so 4 gallons total in the end):

2.5g Gysum
5.5g Calcium Chloride

If I just did 3g Gypsum and 8g Calcium Chloride with the 2 gallons I have control over would that at least give me some of the profile / mouthfeel I am going for without creating off tastes?

I wouldn't recommend storing it for a week but if you have no choice you have no choice. Do you have the ability to lager? If so store the wort as close to freezing as you are able.

If you are talking about the wort share at cotu they will let us know all the wort info on sat. If you go early (9am I think) you can be there during the mash.

If you are talking about the wort share at cotu they will let us know all the wort info on sat. If you go early (9am I think) you can be there during the mash.

Thats the one, I don't know if I'll make it for the mash but thats good to know they will have the stat sheet.

Storing the wort for that long has the potential for disaster. If somebody else will be drinking the finished beer there might be legal or criminal implications if they get severe food poisoning from it.

I picked up my wort lastnight. They said the guidelines are or their facebook page but I do not have a facebook account so I could not see them.

IMG_4541.JPG

Back