Wort Share and British Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
My homebrew club is doing a wort share with a local brewery. The wort will be 100% Maris Otter. Since my preferred beer type is light and crispy i was thinking of doing a British Golden Ale. I've not brewed one before but most of the recipes I see are mostly base malt and then a little wheat and/or vienna. What would be the best approach? Just steeping those other grains in the MO wort or doing a small mash with the Vienna and Wheat and then add that to the MO? Thanks!

I think an 100% Maris Otter sound more typical from how I read the style guidelines and would not add more malt. Maybe add a bit of sugar if you want to dry it out.

Will the wort be preboiled and hopped?

I recently participated in a wort share I wanted to give mine a reddish hue so I crushed some roasted barley put it in a hop bag and hung it in the kettle as I was bringing it to a boil. I had it in at 142 and let is stay for half an hour as the temp climbed to 160. You could just get the temp to where you want it and cut the flame for an hour. This way you won’t dilute your wort by doing the additions separately and then end up boiling longer to get the gravity where you want it.

I think an 100% Maris Otter sound more typical from how I read the style guidelines and would not add more malt. Maybe add a bit of sugar if you want to dry it out.

Will the wort be preboiled and hopped?
from what i gather it's right out of the MLT. so hopping and boiling will be on me

Any way you roll on that will be fine. BGA is a very underrated and wonderful style in my opinion. Mine I use 100% MO, Centennial, and either WLP007 or 008 depending on what I have on hand. Great change of pace beer in the summer when American Ales and Continental Lagers just get too ubiquitous.

The latest Brulosophy podcast was all about British Golden Ale.
I’ve never tried one before but will attempt to make one soon.

They are very simple beers, I've made many with just MO, although my favourite tends to be extra pale MO and about 5% wheat. I tend to favour new world hops with them but there are some very good ones with just english hops, like summer lighting.

I'd just stick to the wort they give you.

from what i gather it's right out of the MLT. so hopping and boiling will be on me
I have only ever got finish wort in a give away, getting unhopped/boil wort surely opens up what you can do with it.

For a golden ale, pick a hop or combo you like and use a couple ounces to hop your beer. Do a bittering charge to get half way to 30(+/-5)IBUs, then use the rest of the hops as late boil additions to get to your desired bitterness level. If you use traditional British hops you might need more than 2oz.

If you want more aroma dry hop with another ounce or two of hops.

1oz each of citra and equinox makes a nice beer.

Latest posts

Back