Wort Pump + CFC Combo Toolbox

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surlytheduff

Reaction score
I wanted to share a recent project that I've almost wrapped up. I'd recently acquired a Chugger center inlet pump and a used CFC. I had been piecing equipment together over the last couple months and decided I needed something that was portable. Here it is (almost) finished:
u8yn5IW.jpg

Started out with one of these toolboxes: http://thd.co/10sjyjM

Design-wise, I wanted my water connections to use quick connects, so I went with these: http://thd.co/18U9Jip . That way I could easily hook my garden hose up/remove sprayer.

Working up from the bottom: my CFC was standard ~20' with 3/8 copper tubing inside for wort. I sweated 1/2" female connectors onto it so I could attach type F camlock connectors. For water, I used brass barbs, short pieces of vinyl hose then more brass parts to get me to the appropriate water hose connectors. I then punched 1" holes into side of bottom portion of toolbox and use conduit fittings to hold them in place. For the wort connections, in hindsight I should have just cut holes big enough for threads of the type F cams but I went large enough to get the whole brass female fitting through. To lock them in place I used that little tab on the camlock and ran a screw through it into the side of the toolbox.
8UKISbl.jpg

Xpnrmgl.jpg

qpBP0U5.jpg

The middle section is optional, but the way I have my pump mounted means the only hook the lower toolbox can clamp on requires it to be in place. It is a decent little case that at some point I'll organize a bit better with useful stuff.
HTnS6MF.jpg

Upper box is for the Chugger center inlet that I'd recently picked up. I have some wood boards mounted on bottom of box to bolt the pump onto. I had to get some longer SS screws to get the pump housing mounted on outside of the case. I had some extra camlock sets, so I rigged up a removable priming ball lock on inlet side. Power is fed from 110v extension cable plugged into a portable GFI outlet. I've got a male 110v twistlock shrouded male plug on backside, and a 2 pole switch/outlet combo on front side. Switch feeds powerstrip mounted on boards. Pump is plugged into powerstrip, as is wall wart which runs the mounted exhaust fan and the soon-to-be mounted intake fan.
qnNIAnR.jpg

(inline temp is for CFC output)

TjoMVZO.jpg

lvxfAws.jpg

rRn9sVf.jpg

nKjyqkD.jpg

The CFC made an immersion chiller I'd previously made redundant. I figured why waste it, so I stuck with the water quick connect theme and converted a wine fermenting bucket into a portable prechiller, which I can also use for storing my silicone and vinyl hoses. I haven't needed it yet, but I'd go QC garden hose->IC->5' braided washing machine hose->CFC inlet->10' long vinyl hose
HtlR9cJ.jpg

aTnbFtJ.jpg

In the end, I'm left with a fairly convenient pumping/cooling/storage setup which is relatively easy to clean out and requires absolute no threading/unthreading of hoses to use. Last thing I need to do is get the inlet cooling fan mounted blowing onto the Chugger motor (I just need to scrounge up a fan cover).
wPpj0t2.jpg

Latest posts

Back