Wort loss to hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Ale

Reaction score
Since I got all paranoid and bought lots of dry hops at the end of the year, I will now be using them for more than dryhopping, but I have never used them in the boil. How much wort loss do you have to account for with typical hopping? Say a Pale ale has 3 oz's total of leaf hops, how much wort loss would you have?

It's actually not that much more than the equivelent in pellets since you get a lot of sludge with pellet debris. If you use a nice big hop bag for the leaf hops, you can actually squeeze the wort out of it I like to suspend the bag way up high in the kettle (spring clip) so as it drains, wort drips out.

Yeah, probably only 1/8-1/4 cup per oz. Now when I did the 08-08-08 RIS yesterday with 11 oz (8 oz of leaf fuggles), I got well over a qt by squeezing the bag after it had drained itself!

For full boils, it's not a big deal. For extract partial boils with a big hop schedule, it could be significant. I did an extract DFH IPA clone with all leaf hops last year. There was a considerable amount of wort trapped in the hops. I did a hop "sparge" with my previously boiled sterile make up water.

I can't wait to try the 777. I'm sad I missed out on that thread. Oh well. I didn't know what a sparge was yet. Or even a 2-row.

Rye 777 is on my brew-sometime-this-winter list, surely before March. Gotta get a St. Pat's beer done first. Then, after that, it's on to summer beers and Oktoberfests!

BierMuncher said:
Hey man...

I've had your 777 Rye Pale Ale.

Just about the best beer I've ever tasted.

Don't go messing with that recipe son. Pile on those hops. :ban:

The problem is getting all those hops in pellet form right now.....:mad:

Never fear....I scored a couple of pounds of cascade, amarillo, centennial, and simcoe in leaf form last week...let the IPA continue.

Oh and you should try my version of Dude's Lake Walk Pale.....I ...uhmm....overhopped it a little....

It has about 69 IBU's, but my buddies say it may be the best I've ever made.... I'm bottling 80% of the keg and saving it.

4 oz whole hops absorbed 48 oz wort when I measured this in September, 2006

I weighed the kettle after racking to fermenter on the kitchen scales (accurate to within two ounces), I then cleaned the kettle, and drained some water with the kettle tilted to the same angle as it was when I racked, and re-weighed.
The clean kettle weighed 52 ounces less, but I had added 4 ounces of hops during the boil.

This figure is accurate for me, but your equipment and methods may be different.

-a.

When you dry hops, you reduce the weight by a factor of 7-8, so you've pulled about a cup of water per ounce of dried hops. All of that goes back into the hops when used, plus the surface moisture and water in between the petals, etc. I plan 10-12 ounces of wort per ounce of whole hops.

Back