Wort Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbushwhacker

Reaction score
Ok so I have this small heat exchanger from a piece of equipment at work that was discarded. Small, as about 6x6x2 and has copper coils and a aluminum fins like radiant baseboard heaters. It has 2 -3/8" tubes for an outlet and inlet. I decided to test it as a cooler and I thought it was efficient. I used it on my 1st AGB and it cooled my boiling wort to 95degrees in less than 15 mins. at that point the cooling seemed to stop. So I removed the h.exchanger and let it final cool down in the fermenter. My main concern is getting any metal tastes from the aluminum?:confused:

You say that it has copper coils, is it a copper tube that has aluminum fins that help dissipate the heat? If that is the case the wort wouldn't touch the aluminum, and there would be nothing to worry about. A picture would probably help people give more meaningful advice than what I can contribute.

I wouldn't think you would get aluminum tastes. That's what cans are made out of.
Yes, but aluminum cans have a lining that prevent flavor transfer.

It sounds like he is using it backwards with the copper tubing passing the cooling water and outside aluminum fins in the wort directly. A big no no, reverse your liquids and pass the wort thru the copper tubing only with the aluminum in a barrel or bucket full of water, water and ice or a water exchange system.

Back