Wort Chiller Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tmoney1224

Reaction score
I've been searching and can't seem to quite find what I am looking for. I have a 25ft 3/8inch immersion chiller. I just have the hoses clamped on with oetiker and worm clamps, but for the life of me I can't get it to stop leaking where the "water in" hose connects. I've seen people using some kind of connections or fittings, but I have no idea what to get, and don't have any soldering equipment. I would be willing to pick up some soldering equipment if necessary, but if someone could point me in the right direction of what I need to get I would greatly appreciated it.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Try double-clamping with a tight-fitting O-ring in between the two clamps. If possible, fit the O-ring between the copper and the hose.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
I would use a flaring tube tool set that has the double flare attachments, use only the double flare starting step. Using the double flare attachment only will make a bulb in the tubing preventing the hose from sliding off as well stop your leaking problem. I would only use Oeitker clamps as worm drive have a hard flat spot behind the worm drive that can cause the hose to bunch up causing a leak.

OP
tmoney1224

tmoney1224

Reaction score
I had all Oeitker clamps on originally, but on friday the entire hose came off and I had to use a worm clamp to get it back on. I have tried both separately and a combination and nothing seems to work.

I like the o-ring idea, I'm going to give that a shot first.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
It also helps to use undersized tubing to begin with, if you have 1/2" copper OD, I would use 7/16 or 3/8 ID hose. Heat the hose in very hot water to force it on the copper.