Immersion chiller disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfej50

Reaction score
I have a couple of 5/8" OD immersion chillers I use. The connecting tubing keeps getting chewed up by the clamps I'm using. In addition the connection sometimes leak. I was wondering if there any fittings or disconnects that anyone has used for their chillers.

There are a lot of ways to approach this. First, you could solder on a tube to threaded adapter, then thread a QD in. If you don't want to solder, you can use a compression to QD adapter:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/camcompression58.htm
1686262858886.png

then connect your garden hose via Camlock GARDEN HOSE Quick Disconnects - Cam Female x Female Garden Hose 304SS

1686262827278.png

IMG_8369.jpeg
I use female cam lock fittings hooked up to silicone tubing to complete the loop from ice water-filled cooler to the immersion chiller and back. One of the hoses has the plastic screw adapter for the aquarium pump, the other is left bare and just dumps the hot water into the cooler. I opted for QD because the silicone hoses would otherwise be a hassle to drag around during setup/cleanup.

I used compression fittings from the hardware store to connect the male cam adapters to the copper tubing. Would rather have used an all-in-one piece as shown in an earlier post, but I didn’t know where to look for them.

View attachment 822017I use female cam lock fittings hooked up to silicone tubing to complete the loop from ice water-filled cooler to the immersion chiller and back. One of the hoses has the plastic screw adapter for the aquarium pump, the other is left bare and just dumps the hot water into the cooler. I opted for QD because the silicone hoses would otherwise be a hassle to drag around during setup/cleanup.

I used compression fittings from the hardware store to connect the male cam adapters to the copper tubing. Would rather have used an all-in-one piece as shown in an earlier post, but I didn’t know where to look for them.
Thanks, do you have a picture of the silicone hose connection?

Thanks, do you have a picture of the silicone hose connection?

FWIW, I had cam locks on my first chiller and loved them. That is up until I went with garden hose quick connects like IslandLizard uses. Takes up less room and one-handed operation. I love these even more!

I added hose disconnects to my IC and eventually bought enough hose disconnects to outfit every outside faucet, hose, nozzle and attachment at my home. It makes life very easy when you want to disconnect the hose nozzle and connect the hose to the IC or want to switch the garden hose for an RV hose/carbon filter to collect beer brewing water. Fortunately for me, my IC already has hose threads on it.

I highly recommend getting all brass disconnects instead of the partial plastic ones available at hardware stores.
https://www.amazon.com/ShowNew-Conn..._r=B25NN13M9TF01KJKRJF4&qid=1688062450&sr=8-1

Latest posts

Back