Wort Chiller Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarsh544

Reaction score
I currently have a 25' 1/2" copper wort chiller with compression garden hose fittings. I am having trouble cooling 5 gallon batches down to pitching temps in under 25 mins and would like to add another 20' or so of tubbing to my current setup (this will come in handy when I switch to 10 gallon batches soon). Does any one have any suggestions of how to modify my current chiller to work with the extra tubing?

I would like to avoid soldering if at all possible.

Thank you

I added 25' to my existing 25' immersion chiller. I used a SharkBite coupler, available at Home Depot (The SharkBite Connection System) to connect the copper ends. It hasn't leaked, but I bent the tubing so the coupler was outside the kettle, just to be safe.

I currently have a 25' 1/2" copper wort chiller with compression garden hose fittings. I am having trouble cooling 5 gallon batches down to pitching temps in under 25 mins and would like to add another 20' or so of tubbing to my current setup (this will come in handy when I switch to 10 gallon batches soon). Does any one have any suggestions of how to modify my current chiller to work with the extra tubing?

I would like to avoid soldering if at all possible.

Thank you

Or you could use the 25 foot coil as a prechiller in a bucket of ice water and make a 50 foot chiller for the kettle. I don't know how cold your tap water is, but here in Texas in the summer a prechiller is a necessity to get the wort down to pitching temperature.

Back