Wort Chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarkus

Reaction score
I ridiculously forgot to sanitize my brew pot lid after the boil and placed it back on the pot during the wort chill. It was kept on the counter face up during boil, and then I just threw it back on the pot during the entire 30-minute chill.

Obviously there is nothing I can do but learn from it and hope there isn't too big an infection. I do have a few question, however. How do I actively monitor for infection, and what are the signs I should look for? Anyone else ever do this? Results?

Any and all information you give me or direct me to is much appreciated!

Thanks, community,

Jon

I pretty sure everything will be fine. You can find all kinds of examples of people doing much worse than that with no ill effects.

You can find pics and descriptions of infections on the site, as well as shots of what normal fermentation looks like.

Relax, it's going to be fine.

First off, your beer is more than likely fine. The steam/heat coming off of the top of your wort most likely killed off the nasties. If you pitched healthy yeast you most likely will not see any signs of any potential infection until they finish up and drop out. And yes, I have made a number of "mistakes" in the years I have been brewing, and I have only had 1 infection. It was a lager (miabock) and it had the "gusher bug".

I keep the lid right side up off to the side on top of something else. Then I put it on the kettle to steep while I get the ice bath ready. No problems so far,since rising heat & steam will do the job.

Thanks for the help, guys. I assumed the heat/steam from the wort would do the trick. And, yes, I did pitch healthy yeast - the airlock is going nuts. Thanks again for putting me at ease. Is it normal to lose sleep over brewing? HAH!

Sanitary methods are important to reduce the likelihood of infections, and brewers should develop techniques and habits to to avoid possible contaminations.

That said, beer is actually much more forgiving than is generally perceived. Infections do happen, but occasional lapses in sanitary practice usually do not result in infections. You will have good beer.

I always put my "clean" lid partially over the pot during wort chilling without ever sanitizing it. I want to prevent anything from getting into the wort as it's cooling. Over 10 batches so far with no issues.

Back